"sollicitatiebrief" universiteit

Suusjeuh

Hallo,
Ik heb de eerste opzet voor mijn "sollicitatiebrief" voor de universiteit in Fremantle af. Er is 1 zin waar ik nog niet helemaal tevreden over ben. Hij staat in de text schuingedrukt. Wat ik probeer te zeggen, is dat het me fijn lijkt om ergens te studeren waar mensen weten wat je meemaakt. Omdat er zoveel international students zijn. Zij kennen er ook nog niemand, zijn in een vreemd land, ver weg van huis.

Andere op of aanmerkingen zijn welkom!

Why I want to study at Notre Dame Fremantle:

I’ve been planning to leave the Netherlands and work – or study – in a foreign country for a few years now. Now the time has come; I’m graduating from my Dutch nursing course this year.

My choice to study in Australia was made fast. But where would I go in Australia? Pert, in Western Australia would be a logical choice because my uncle lives there.  Most of my family members have visited him; they were enthusiastic about Pert. And he took each and every one of them to Fremantle to eat fish and chips.

So I went searching for universities in and around Perth to study Bachelor of nursing. Because Notre dame is so big – 3 campuses – and has so much information for international students, we decided we’ve found the place we were looking for.  I think it would be nice to study far away from home where there are more people in the same situation.

Now to write something about myself:
My name is Susanne ...... and I’m 21 years of age. I’m Dutch and currently live here but I grew up outside of the Netherlands. Because of that, I’ve seen a lot of the world and enjoy traveling and exploring.

Because of our traveling background, Holland doesn’t do it for me. I’ve been to Dutch “High school” here and done a 4-year nursing course. Now I want to study some more – get my bachelor, and live someplace else.

During my study I’ve worked in a home for seniors (for 3 months) and in a hospital (for 6 months) and during my final year, I’ve been working in 2 houses for mentally retarded people (for 9 months). Especially with these people you really learn communication skills. I enjoyed all 3 fields very much.

I would describe myself as a good student. I enjoy studying and learn quickly. Because we’ve traveled a lot, my languages are quite good so a study in Australia would suit me well.

Hoi Suusje,

Dit soort verzoeken zijn altijd moeilijk omdat zo'n brief heel persoonlijk is. Er zijn behoorlijk wat verbeterpunten in jouw brief te vinden, maar als ik die zou aangeven zou het jouw brief niet meer zijn. De dingen die ik je wel wil meegeven:

1) Schrijf formeler. Alhoewel Australiers in de omgang zeker niet formeel zijn, verwacht een universiteit iets meer dan een brief die je aan een familielid zou kunnen sturen.

2) Het is wel zo handig om Perth in je hele brief ook zo te schrijven ;-)

3) "My choice to study in Australia was made fast" Beter zou zijn: "The decision to study in Australia was easy to make"

4) "Holland doesn't do it for me" is heel negatief en ik vraag me af of je dat echt wilt zeggen

5) De zin waar je om vraagt moet je beter inleiden door in de zin daarvoor duidelijker te schrijven dat de uni je aantrekt vanwege de grote hoeveelheid buitenlandse studenten. Daarna zou je zoiets kunnen zeggen als "Studying far away from home is easier while being among fellow students in the same situation".

Veel succes er mee.

To study far from home and to be amongst people in the same situation seems like a great experience to me.

My choice to study in Australia was made fast. Klinkt alsof je er niet over nagedacht hebt. Ik zou zeggen: The choice to study in Australia was an easy one.

Je schrijft Perth een paar keer als Pert.

'to study Bachelor of nursing.' klinkt wat raar: misschien 'to study for my Bachelor's degree in nursing'

I’m Dutch and currently live here but I grew up outside of the Netherlands. : het woord 'here' is vreemd. Ik zou zeggen: I'm Dutch and currently living in the Netherlands, however I grew up abroad.

I’ve been to Dutch “High school” here and done a 4-year nursing course. misschien: I attended a high school in the Netherlands which was followed by a 4-year nursing course

Hoi Suusje,

Het maakt waarschijnlijk niet zo veel uit maar ik zou "I have" schrijven in plaats van telkens I've

Groetjes Irene

Dit is niet lullig bedoeld, maar ik werk op een Australische universiteit en als ik deze brief zou binnenkrijgen, zou ik me op z'n minst eens flink achter de oren krabben wat ik hiermee aan moet. Zoals iemand anders al zei, het moet echt een flink stuk formeler. De brief zoals hij nu is zou ik verwachten van een Australier die net klaar is met de middelbare school, niet van iemand die al een opleiding achter de rug heeft.

Wees zakelijk en to-the-point:
waarom Australie (in 1 zin)
waarom Notre Dame (en spel het goed, dus met hoofdletter) in een paar zinnen, noem dingen als:
- goede reputatie in nursing (als dat zo is?)
- very informative website
- large university (al weten ze zelf ook heus wel dat ze 3 campussen hebben dus dat hoef je ze niet te vertellen ;) )
- large international student coommunity
- sluit goed aan op de 4-jarige opleiding die ik al gedaan heb.

[quote author=Suusjeuh link=topic=6713.msg83935#msg83935 date=1173645633]
Because of our traveling background, Holland doesn’t do it for me. I’ve been to Dutch “High school” here and done a 4-year nursing course. Now I want to study some more – get my bachelor, and live someplace else. [/quote]Dat je een opleiding gedaan hebt, zou ik in meer detail beschrijven -wat voor onderwerpen heb je gestudeerd, welke vond je het interessantst en waar ben je goed in- , de rest van dit stukje zou ik weglaten. Hoge School is normaalgesproken gewoon University, maar dat kun je evt navragen bij je hoge school. Het is zeker niet "high school" met of zonder aanhalingstekens.

"home for seniors", volgens mij is "retirement home" meer gebruikelijk
"houses for mentally retarded people" zou ik veranderen in "homes (niet houses!) for the mentally disabled" of "psychiatric facilities"

Dit is een email die ik toevallig vorige week binnenkreeg. Niet dat ik dit nou fantastisch geschreven vind -het is een beetje té beleefd-, maar het geeft je een idee van het soort taalgebruik en de toon die gebruikelijk is in dit soort brieven:
Dear Prof. Hans de Visser  ,
I am a Third year undergraduate student of  "Mechanical Engineering" at INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (IIT kanpur ,INDIA) . I am writing with
reference to the  possibility of obtaining internship experience under you during the period from May to July 2007  in order  to gain hands-on experience to enhance my knowledge and skills in the area of Stress Analysis.

My fields of interest are Stress Analysis and Properties of Materials.I have done projects in various fields including Finite Element algorithms for large deformation elastoplastic boundry value problems and its demostration in ABACUS. The coding was done both in java and Matlab .After exploring various fields through projects ,seminars, talks and courses in Finite element,Stress Analysis and material properties,I have developed an undying interest in the field and I want to build upon this and carry out further research work in this field aiming a PhD. To lay out strong foundation for research in this area I have also chosen Thermal and quantum Physics courses .

I came to know about you from your institute's website and I wish to participate in your research projects and learn more about this evolving area of research.I have done several professional courses and it would be really great for my academic career if I get a chance to work with you at your prestigious institute. This summer work under your able guidance will surely provide me with a platform for my future work, and career.Considering the above mentioned things I seek internship/project in your university under your guidance for 2-3 months in between May 2007 and July 2007. Kindly give me a chance to work under you. You could be assured of full sincerity from my side.
I am not sure if I should have addressed this mail to you .In this case it would be most kind on your part to forward this mail to the concerned authority.

My detailed Curriculum Vitae is attached with the mail. I hope that you will consider my application. Sir, I am looking forward for your positive reply at the earliest.

Thanking you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
PS ik ben echt geen professor hoor, geen idee waar hij dat vandaan heeft.

Hoi Suusjeuh,mag ik je wat vragen; als je 4 jaar HBO- v? hebt gedaan, heb je toch al je bachelor in nursing?

Bedankt voor de reacties tot nu toe! Daar kan ik zeker wat mee: veel formeler dus!

Tijlcarm: Ik heb MBO gedaan, geen hbo, vandaar dat ik nu mijn bachelor wil gaan doen.

Hans de Visser: Ik heb dus geen hoge school gedaan, maar gewoon middelbare school, wat in het buitenland geloof ik als high school doorgaat.

Maargoed, bedankt allen, ik ga van de week er gewoon weer voor zitten :)

[quote author=Suusjeuh link=topic=6713.msg84008#msg84008 date=1173701059]
Tijlcarm: Ik heb MBO gedaan, geen hbo, vandaar dat ik nu mijn bachelor wil gaan doen.

Hans de Visser: Ik heb dus geen hoge school gedaan, maar gewoon middelbare school, wat in het buitenland geloof ik als high school doorgaat.[/quote]Ah ok, uit je gebruik van aanhalingstekens had ik geconcludeerd dat je hoge school bedoelde, maar ik was dus een beetje te voorbarig... Hmmm, MBO, hoe vertaal je dat? Waarschijnlijk zoiets als "I have successfully completed a 4-year nursing course at an institute similar to TAFE" of zoiets. TAFE is de Australische versie van MBO, LOI, etc, zo'n beetje alle niet-universitaire vervolgopleidingen. Vaak weten ze je op je MBO wel te vertellen hoe je de naam van je opleiding correct hoort te vertalen in het Engels.

Ik heb in mijn CV MTS vertaald als "Intermediate Technical School"

Is Intermediate Nursing School  geen optie?

Succes Gr Frank

Back