How about adventure and outdoor sports in Australia?

I just gotta try this one (it's hard without dictionaries):

Aanhoudende elektrische ellende - Continu Variabele Olieinname - Gebroken distributiekettinggeleider - Koelingsproblemen - Losgeraakte stuurstang - Gebroken stuurhuis - Gescheurde stuurkogel - Kapot startmotorrelais - Algehele dienstweigering door motor - Lekkage achterdifferentieel

continuing electrical distress - continuously variable oil intake - broken distribution chain wossname  :wink: - cooling problems -
detached steering box? - broken steering something else- .

.. you know I don't know half of the things mentioned here,
being the car parts... so eh

complete work refusal of the engine - leak in rear differential .

hey, I know what a differential is!!! :thankyou:

here you go.   :lmao:

absolute will helps me
"will absolutely help me" looks better  :up:

[quote author=jassian link=topic=3712.msg44695#msg44695 date=1138054943]
absolute will helps me
"will absolutely help me" looks better :up: [/quote]
There you go, thanks. Still got to learn a lot!  :-o

@Linda: That's great news, we already have to miss our one-week-of-skifun!  :cry: Ah, what a pitty with all the other hopeless things we have to do like driving through the desert or making a move to Australia! :rotflmao:

If you like driving through the desert, Australia is the place to be...

There's reasonable skiing in the Snowy Mountains, but spend $400 on a ticket to New Zealand and you've got some great skiing :) (from hear-say, haven't checked it out myself, yet).

The Grampians are a great climbing area I've been told, but it's a fair drive out of Melbourne, about 3 hours. Same goes for the Blue Mountains near Sydney (about 1-2 hours), although Sydney apparently has quite a few good climbing spots spread through the city. Don't know about climbing in and around Adelaide and Perth... Brisbane however -and yeah I know, I have 'bragged' about this before- has the Kangaroo Point cliffs right in the heart of the city  :cool:
http://www.immortal.net.au/climbing/

[quote author=linda link=topic=3712.msg44696#msg44696 date=1138055011]
rock climbing kun je op meer plaatsen doen

de grampians bij melbourne zijn ook beroemd en in de victorian alps kun je drie kwart van het jaar skieen.
[/quote]
I already figured Australia to be a rock climber's heaven, yeah! But skiing... I'm spoiled, like I said. There's a minimum of 200km for me to even come out of my bed, and it really starts rocking when we get to e.g. Les Trois Vallées (a good 600kms!).

Btw, we aren't going to Australia for it's deserts... OK we did Amsterdam Dakar but that was mainly about challenge, team spirit... the desert was just a lot of sand and a lot of problems  :?

[quote author=Ya Li Shan Da link=topic=3712.msg44703#msg44703 date=1138056222]
There you go, thanks. Still got to learn a lot!  :-o
[/quote]

Me too!  :-D

Skiing... brr . I hate skiing. Had to do it as a kid, my parents went every year.
Outside it's cold inside you're icky and sweaty. :freezing:  Not my cup of tea.  :wink:
Nope, I'd really like a nice warm desert. Then at least you're hot all over
and the sweat can evaporate. :)

Rock climbing might be interesting, never did it before.

[quote author=jassian link=topic=3712.msg44749#msg44749 date=1138093992]Skiing... brr . I hate skiing. Had to do it as a kid, my parents went every year. Outside it's cold inside you're icky and sweaty. :freezing:  Not my cup of tea.  :wink:[/quote]
Get yourself into better clothes! It really works. Multiple layers, thermal wear, thin fleece, thick fleece, windstopper... I like it best when it's so cold it hurts. Early morning, after a clear and freezing cold night. A couple of minutes ago I was looking at the buses leaving the Jaarbeurs... Lucky bastards.

Nope, I'd really like a nice warm desert. Then at least you're hot all over and the sweat can evaporate. :)
You're forgetting dust. There's no such thing as a NICE warm desert. Really.

Rock climbing might be interesting, never did it before.
Rock climbing is awesome. You've got to try!

[quote author=landmiles link=topic=3712.msg44840#msg44840 date=1138135479]
Get yourself into better clothes! It really works. Multiple layers, thermal wear, thin fleece, thick fleece, windstopper... I like it best when it's so cold it hurts. Early morning, after a clear and freezing cold night. A couple of minutes ago I was looking at the buses leaving the Jaarbeurs... Lucky bastards.
[/quote]

hmm. Maybe it does. Just somehow never enjoyed most winter sports. Partially also because
you have to first dress up for it. Most other sports you can do in a t-shirt and jogging trousers,
a gi (martial arts suit) is still alright, but all these layers of clothes and gloves. I still remember
my palms being all sweaty  and stinky and my feet, too. But yeah with the right kind of clothes it
might be better. Maybe one day, but I'm not in a hurry to find out. There's so many other
nice things to do. Or maybe it's a childhood thing because I really HAD to do it. :think:
Anyway as long as you guys enjoy it, I wish you the nicest snow there is.  :-D

Nope, I'd really like a nice warm desert. Then at least you're hot all over and the sweat can evaporate. :)
You're forgetting dust. There's no such thing as a NICE warm desert. Really.

You know, It also depends a bit on the type of desert. Mountanous deserts are not so bad.
And if you walk in it, nice and slowly it's also quite OK, even in sandy ones.  :-D
Then again I haven't done it for very long in a row, yet. Which might make all the difference.

Rock climbing is awesome. You've got to try!
You know, I actually might. I once climbed up an old greek tower (only 10 meters or so..
nowadays I'm still wondering why I did it without any safety backup at all  :koekkoek: )
And it was really fun. And that wasn't even a real rock yet.
Have you done a lot of climbing?
What different types are there?

I won't go skiing in a keiko gi, that's for sure. Apart from looking stupid, it's too cold. And however good my clothes may be, you still might want to stay clear of my skiing boots and socks :woot:

But I can see climbing blood in your veins, starting out on a solo climb... let's just say it's better to use a rope - or else you might contribute to stopping the overpopulation (nah, that was another subject). But do try the real thing, granite for example. That's great fun, especially in good wheather. And if it rains, normally you won't even go rock climbing at all.

We like to climb in Italy, Switzerland, France, Austria and Belgium. Usually just sports climbing, just for fun. I'd like to do big wall as well, but I'm still not good enough... Also, we like alpine climbing in Italy, Switzerland, France and Austria (no suitable mountains in Belgium :lol: ).

[quote author=landmiles link=topic=3712.msg44853#msg44853 date=1138139077]
I won't go skiing in a keiko gi, that's for sure. Apart from looking stupid, it's too cold. And however good my clothes may be, you still might want to stay clear of my skiing boots and socks :woot: [/quote]

keiko gi ? I only know kwon and Danrho  :-D

But I can see climbing blood in your veins,starting out on a solo climb...
You caught me.  :evil: Somehow I felt absolutely not worried , the grip was so natural
that the possibility of falling didn't even exist. But we made a funny picture
for my mom. See below. (is that a good acting job or what?  :cool: )

let's just say it's better to use a rope - or else you might contribute to stopping the overpopulation (nah, that was another subject).

Could earn me a Darwin award!  :thankyou: :mrgreen:

So what exactly is the difference between sports climbing, big wall and
alpine climbing, other than the location?

:)

tower1.jpg

[quote author=jassian link=topic=3712.msg44872#msg44872 date=1138144113]keiko gi ? I only know kwon and Danrho  :-D[/quote]
Keiko gi is judo or karate gi. I've been training karate since I was 12.

(is that a good acting job or what?  :cool: )
I'd almost believe it...

Could earn me a Darwin award!  :thankyou: :mrgreen:
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2005-14.html (een bijzondere Darwin Award, iemand die het toch heeft overleefd!)

So what exactly is the difference between sports climbing, big wall and alpine climbing, other than the location?
Sports climbing can be done indoors or outdoors, using nuts, friends and other materials or fixed hooks (the latter to be found in so called climbing gardens), up to a few cord-lengths (usual cord lengths are 50-70m). Big wall is more like travelling vertically, sometimes even sleeping while hanging in a portaledge (hanging onto the wall).
buffalo.jpg
Big wall climbing in Australia
Alpine is not about climbing walls but climbing mountains. Materials include ice axes, crampons, ice screws and such, and much thicker clothing. Check http://www.nkbv.nl for more info!

Back