Skilled migration credit points

Lily

Hi all,

This morning I filled the requirement forms online for the skilled migration, just to check if I qualify - my profession is not exactly specified there, my education is on Physics but I work as a quality engineer - the most related thing on the list I could find was "Plant/Production engineer" do you think this is correct ?

The profession "Physicist" does appear there, but the character of my job is more engineering rather than scientific.... (and my title is kinda.... in between.... "Applied Physics Engineering")

So I find this a bit confusing..... I scored 115 points and it says I have a good chance to qualify for a territory related skilled migration.... However, West Aussie and Perth area are not on the option list...... and I do want to aim at Western Aussie... What does this mean and what are my options ? Has anybody here ran into this before ?

I'd appreciate any info you can give me :)

115 points will be enough for a SIR visa. And with that visa you are allowed to live in regional area's, including a lot of West Australia. But you are possibly not allowed to live in Perth or one of the suburbs....

I think only you can decide whether plant/production engineer is a correct description for what you do. Does your work look like this:
2126-13 Production or Plant Engineer

Plans, directs and coordinates the design, construction, modification, continued performance and maintenance of equipment and machinery in industrial plants and the management and planning of manufacturing activities.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.

Tasks Include:
establishes standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, inspection and maintenance, according to engineering principles and safety regulations
inspects plant to ensure optimum performance is maintained
directs the maintenance of plant buildings and equipment and coordinates the requirements for new designs, surveys and maintenance schedules
prepares contracts and specifications for construction and facility acquisitions
schedules and plans production activities
tests newly installed machines and equipment to ensure compliance with requirements and specifications

source: http://search.abs.gov.au/servlet/SearchDocuments?StartValue=1&search=results&query=plant+engineer
Online forms can be very generic and wrong, would you mind giving us a break down of the points you think you'd get?

Thanks Hans ! :)

This looks pretty much like what I do. It gets confusing when your educational title is so different to your job title..... I guess it would have been simpler to be a mechanical engineer hahahaha.....

I'm quite sure I'll get 60 points for my profession and work experience, get points for native English (how good does my Dutch have to be for the "other language" 5 points? I have passed the NT2 test here in NL), I'll definitely try for a job offer there, but if the paper-work takes eternity - no employer likes to wait  :|

Maybe get points for partner's profession too, I still have to check.... The only limitation is: we have to be close to a medium to large airport - my partner is in aviation and will not set a foot outside NL until he knows he can have a job there....

I see you're already 3 years in Brisbane  :up: - How did you do it ? How is life there ? and what do you think of it all ?

To claim points for Dutch language you either need to have done some kind of tertiary education that was taught in Dutch, or pass the NAATI test, which is a test for professional translators, so not particularly easy. I don't think the NT2 (that's the "Nederlands als 2e Taal" test, isn't it?) will do. If you can get to the 120 points via spouse points, you should definitely go for that, as a (permanent) skilled visa is definitely preferable over a (temporary) SIR visa.
Airports are plenty here, every capitol city has one of reasonable size, and there are dozens if not hundreds of local airports.

Hi Hans, thanks for the info !

My knowledge of Dutch is quite good - speaking it remains a little difficult (and sloooooow), but I did my title here at a Dutch uni. - lectures, most books, exam questions in Dutch, although I was allowed to speak and write my replies in English.

I can easily translate from Dutch to English, but the other way around is harder.

I'll send Hube (partner) to seek out his profession on the list  :up:

I read some of the posts here, and it sounds like the preperations for this migration are complex and full of.... paperwork ......

Are you, or anyone else here in one of the engineering professions ? and if yes, how did you go about seeking employment ? before you apply ? After you apply, but before you move ? once you got there ?

If you can get an official declaration from your uni stating that you've finished a degree there that was completely taught in Dutch, you should be alright for the 'Dutch points'.
As an engineer, you'll have to get your skills assessed by IEAust: see http://www.ieaust.org.au/find/osqa.html . Assuming you haven't done an engineering degree in eg. the UK before your degree in Holland, you'll have to write a Competency Demonstration Report, which can be quite a bit of work (anywhere between a few days and a few weeks fulltime, depending on your writing skills). Gathering all the other paperwork for DIMIA can take weeks if not months as well. And remember to make certified copies of everything you send to IEAust, cos you'll need those for the actual visa application with DIMIA.

Unless you've got unique and/or wanted skills, I don't think there is much point applying for jobs here before you've got your visa, cos there won't be that many employers willing to hire you yet.

Back