For everyone who feels like speaking English....

Hi all

and hi Miranda! sorry did not reply earlier, Edens Landing is ok :up: :). It is in between Brisbane & The Gold Coast (approx. 30 minutes either way). In hindsight I would have liked to live in a more 'coastal" suburb, but who knows....maybe in the future. Mackay is still calling too!!!

Allrighty then, as it is nearly "chrissie" here is a song for you all to practice!!!  :music: Remember Jingle Bells???

Dashing through the bush
In a rusty Holden Ute
Kicking up the dust
Esky in the boot
Kelpie by my side
Singing Christmas songs
It's summer time and I am in
My singlet, shorts and thongs

Chorus

Oh, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells
Jingle all the way
Christmas in Australia
On a scorching summer's day HEY
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells
Christmas time is beaut!
Oh what fun it is to ride
In a rusty Holden Ute!

Engines getting hot
We dodge the kangaroos
Swaggy climbs aboard
He is welcome too
All the family's there
Sitting by the pool
Christmas day, (yell) THE AUSSIE WAY
by the barbecue!

~chorus~

Come the afternoon
Grandpa has a doze
The kids and uncle Bruce
Are swimming in their clothes
The time comes round to go
We take a family snap
Then pack the car and
ALL SHOOT THROUGH
Before the washing up!

~chorus~

Hi Syl,

As soon as I saw it, started to hum it. A bit early for Xmas, and my collegues looked at me with a look of compassion (Don't mind him, he's Australian, in other words, completely stark raving bonkers).

I will be printing it out and will be hanging it on the wall of my office.

Loved it though.

Luv Rene

Thank you Rene! My absolute pleasure!  :-D I know, I know it is a tad early but the shops are already decked out with Christmas gear, can't escape the christmas trees :-D .......so I felt it was time! Anyhow, it will give your workmates some extra time to practice the words!

Hihi...
Syl

Hi Katrina,

My name is Melanie (Bawurra/ Mel). It's nice to read things in English here at the forum :).
I study English aswell. I started an advanced course last September.
This is a good way for me to practise my grammar, etc.

Bye :)

Mel

[quote author=Annemiek link=topic=2886.msg32867#msg32867 date=1130156143]
Whahahaa! Cool song!
[/quote]

O and I sent this song to my hubbie today :-D

:thinking: ..... nope, I guess not.
Is it only for adults or for kids aswell? :-D.

By the way, for my English course I have to get 20 words per week for my idiomfile. It doesn't look hard,
but I have to pick words I do not know (yet :|) and which are comparing with my major study (primary school teacher).
Does somebody have an idea how I can get them without reading my Oxford English Dictionary from A-Z :-D.

Mel

[quote author=Rene-L link=topic=2886.msg33262#msg33262 date=1130271495]
By asking :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
[/quote]

DUHH :p :lol1:

I did ask, didn't I???!! :wink:

[quote author=Bawurra link=topic=2886.msg33258#msg33258 date=1130269448]
but I have to pick words I do not know (yet) [/quote]

Get it?? Ask for words you don't know yet, and it will be given to you.

What sort of words are you thinking of? Words of endearment, words of enchantment, swear words, consise words, technical words??

Go on have a stab at it, it could be fun!! :-D

@ Syl: Thanks for the link :), that's already seven per week :-D.

@ Rene: I have the Concise Oxford English Dictionary.  There are a lot of words that I don't know, but I have to find (??) words that compare with my major study (I will become?? a primary schoolteacher). If my English isn't good enough, I can't teach in an English enviroment :cry:. But thanks anyway :).

Mel

[quote author=Bawurra link=topic=2886.msg33287#msg33287 date=1130276642]
There are a lot of words that I don't know, but I have to find (??) words that compare with my major study. [/quote]

Sorry, I still don't get it. I'd love to help you in any way I can, but "having to find words"? Still. if I can be of any assistance, you know where to find me.

Rene

This one still is a lot of fun. From the Arrogant Worms:

I am cow hear me moo
I weigh twice as much as you
And I look good on the barbecue
Yogurt, curd, cream cheese, and butter's
made from liquid from my udders
I am cow, I am cow, hear me moo!

I am cow, eating grass
methane gas comes out my ass
and out my muzzle when I belch
o the ozone layer is thinner
from the outcome of my dinner
I am cow, I am cow, I've got gas

I am cow, here I stand
far and wide upon this land
and I am living everywhere
from B.C. to Newfoundland
You can squeeze my teats by hand
I am cow, I am cow, I am cow
I am cow, I am cow, I am cow!

Great song Annemiek  :-D :-D

but who knows....maybe in the future. Mackay is still calling too!!!

Ok then maybe we'll become neighbours  :) in the near future. It all depends on us deciding to live there and you deciding to move there.

Maybe we can start our own live version of a chatterbox  :up:

Greetz Miranda  :) :)

@Mel

20 new words per week would be a very big issue I guess. The question is what you mean by ´have to compare with my major study´.. Do you mean the words have to been applicable or useable in your study? Or do you mean they have to be alternative words for existing words that you know because of your study ?

If the new words ´only´ have to be of a major level (so being a bit above normal day to day language), you might try to read the book ´A Short History of Nearly Everthing´ by Bill Bryson. In this book Bill Bryson handles a very big number of different topics, concerning a big number of fields.. He talks about life itself, DNA, the cosmos, the earth, etc..

Not sure if it is usefull, but if not this book is really a readable book anyway about these topics, written with Bill´s remarkable sense of humor .. ;-)

Regards,

Perthpete.

Hi Annemiek, just being curious, who are the Arrogant Worms?  :think:

Bye Miranda  :)

@ perthpete,

With "have to compare with my major study" means that I have to find words that I will (or should??) use in the future as a teacher. Just "common" words.

I have read a book from/of (??) Bill Bryson, called Down Under, so I know his sense of humor :).
I'll take a look at that book you were talking about...

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway :).

Mel

Back