For everyone who feels like speaking English....

Mel,

That´s clear.. Must be ´normal´ or ´day-to-day´ words then.  So talking about day to day stuff will be important then. Maybe it is an idea to ask one or more people to join in a discussion thread about (for example) the items that have been in the six o´clock news ... (I know, it is not as easy as it sounds to keep something like that going).

Bye the way, I think it is a book BY Bill. A book is written by a writer, and probably that is also the expression to use in a sentence like ´... a book by ...´. Unlees of course you have borrowed a book from someone, then you´ld probably say ´.. it is a book of ...´ (then you are referring to the physical book as a thing).

Regards,

Perthpete.

[quote author=perthpete link=topic=2886.msg33872#msg33872 date=1130575995]
Maybe it is an idea to ask one or more people to join in a discussion thread about (for example) the items that have been in the six o´clock news ... (I know, it is not as easy as it sounds to keep something like that going).
[/quote]

Every week I have to write an abstract of a program that saw (have seen??) for instance on the BBC. Than we discuss our subject in class (every week). We also discuss an issue that was on the news last week. That's the speaking part (two hours). The other two hours we discuss our homework (one unit a week), mostly the grammar and our idiomfiles.

With this course (4 hours in class and approx. 10-15 hours study a week) I hope to improve my English.

@ Syl, thanks for the link  :).

Mel

Ok Mel,

Please tell me (us) if you do or don´t appreciate the following remark(s), if you don´t I will refrain from doing it any more. If you do, I will try to keep making them .. ;-). Besides being able to help you a little, this is of course also good for my English, since it will force me a bit more to actively think about grammar, spelling and so on.

"... that I saw (have seen??) for..."
I think have seen would be the right choice. One would say ´I saw that´ directly after seeing ´it´. Having it seen yesterday I think ´I have seen´ would be the better way.

"... instance on the BBC...."
Without knowing it for sure, I would think the expression would be .. for instance on BBC.. without ´the´. The ´the´ would be the word if you say ´have seen it on the TV´ (when referring to the physical TV. Probably one could also say ´I did not see it in the cinema but on TV´ (referring to TV as the phenomenum)...

" Than we discuss our subject in class (every week)."
Should be ´Then we discus..´. Than is used to compare things (bigger than life), then is used for time related topics..

Regards,

Perthpete

Hi perthpete,

I do appreciate the remarks :up:. Otherwise I wouldn't write two grammar(things :-D).

Mel

[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg33862#msg33862 date=1130567959]
Hi Annemiek, just being curious, who are the Arrogant Worms? :think:

Bye Miranda :)
[/quote]

@tum

The arrogant worms is a band from Canada. They have a lot of "funny" songs.

The arrogant worms are really funny, but not everyone is fond of their music. Some songs are a bit childish, or I don't understand why they're funny ;)

Like one song... It's only about rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and waterrrr......

Ok a bit like only focusing on those rocks and trees and a bit of water. Pretty cool that they can make a whole song about those 3 things and that people listen!!!! Not too bad for a couple of guys (and girls?) with a name like the arrogant worms. I agree with Mel, It sounds humerous to me  :-D

Reminds me of a song of the Beatles (hope I don't offend anyone) SHE LOVES ME YEAH YEAH YEAH TIMES A TRILLION

Miranda  :)

A little question:

Can someone explain to me what this English term means:

"slipped through the cracks"

Thanks!

Bert

Isn't it something like "something that remained unnoticed, was forgotten,wasn't payed attention to while it should've been "

Sara

@Sara,

something that remained unnoticed.........I think that you are right with this.

I wanted to know the meaning of this term, because I'm working on the questionnaire of a possible employer who wants to sponsor me.
And in one of the questions they used this term.

Thanks!

Bert

[quote author=Rene-L link=topic=2886.msg34105#msg34105 date=1130757772]
Vergelijk het met; "door de mazen (van de wet) glippen.
Rene[/quote]

[quote author=sarabaes link=topic=2886.msg34106#msg34106 date=1130757780]
Isn't it something like "something that remained unnoticed, was forgotten,wasn't payed attention to while it should've been "
Sara
[/quote]

In that case; I stand corrected, and should be ashamed of myself for answering in Dutch while this is meant to be an English orientated thread. :oops: :oops:

Rene :oops:

[size=14pt]OH, YOU'RE ALL SO SWEET!![/size]

I get all shy!! and the tears get into my eyes!!

@Bert,

I am a bit curious what exactly the question is where an employer asks you something with this ´slipped through the cracks´ sentence... Could be a bit murky topic ;-) (although probably perfectly explainable).

Regards,

Perthpete

[quote author=Bawurra link=topic=2886.msg33962#msg33962 date=1130668077]
:music: Looks like fun to me :loldevil:

Can you sent a songtekst by e-mail or is there a link?

Mel
[/quote]

I tried www.arrogantworms.com, but that doens't exist... maybe google? lyrics arrogant worms. Maybe that will give you some links

Back