For everyone who feels like speaking English....

OK this is probably not a great place for it, but I couldn't think of a different place on this forum and it may interest some people. Since this topic deals with the topic of language I thought it would not be the worst place to post it. Also it doesn't seem like this thread is used very extensively, so I don't think I'm messing up any current conversations.

Anyway, I just read this article about the importance of people's native languages. The article is mainly about a woman's reconnection with Czech, but will surely be of interest with Dutchies who have been away from the Netherlands for a longer period and don't speak Dutch on a regular basis. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

OK this is probably not a great place for it, but I couldn't think of a different place on this forum and it may interest some people. Since this topic deals with the topic of language I thought it would not be the worst place to post it. Also it doesn't seem like this thread is used very extensively, so I don't think I'm messing up any current conversations.

Anyway, I just read this article about the importance of people's native languages. The article is mainly about a woman's reconnection with Czech, but will surely be of interest with Dutchies who have been away from the Netherlands for a longer period and don't speak Dutch on a regular basis. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Definitely a good read! Thanks @Roels. One of my friend's mother developed Alzheimer's disease in her 90's. In her final years, she started to speak more and more Dutch and mixing up both languages. She asked things like: "Could you please pak the umbrella van de kast." She had been living in Australia and speaking English for over 60 years then...

I occasionally volunteer in aged care nursing homes for people with Dutch backgrounds, as they tend to lose their English, even after 70 years of not speaking Dutch and not suffering from dementia.

I occasionally volunteer in aged care nursing homes for people with Dutch backgrounds, as they tend to lose their English, even after 70 years of not speaking Dutch and not suffering from dementia.

That sounds like such a fun and rewarding thing to do, connecting with people and making them feel part of ‘normal life’ by chatting about ordinary stuff, day-to-day events, even as small as talking about the weather. Go you!

The enjoyment works both ways. I think I get more out of it than they do. I'm 60 myself (and of course still feel like 11) and I meet octa- and nonagenarians who are more vibrant than I am. Their stories of almost a century and what they have lived, never cease to amaze and humble me.

Nee hoor, voor vrijwilligerswerk hoef je geen diploma's te hebben. Je mag uiteraard geen enkel officieel verzorgingswerk verrichten, zelfs niet mensen in bed leggen, eten geven of naar de wc helpen. En je staat onder curatele, er is altijd wel een gediplomeerde in de ruimte. Nee, het is echt alleen maar zitten, praten, wandelen. Je komt heel makkelijk aan dit soort werk, schrijf gewoon een mailtje naar een verzorgingshuis in jouw buurt, die zitten gegarandeerd om hulp te springen.

Als je het betaald wil doen, schrijf je dan hier in.

Learned a new word today!! Wombat Crossing.

A pedestrian crossing with a speed bump in it

Barolin-Street-Pedestrian-Crossing.jpg

OFX
Back