For everyone who feels like speaking English....

Patience is a virtue!!  How true that is.

Most of the time you will be greeted with something like; "G'day, orryougoin, orright??" This is always a sign for me. I will always reply with a; "Not bad, mate, orryougoin, orright?" This has always fascinated me. It's always better than; "Zeg het maar."

Take your time, DON'T be impatient, that's the Ozzie way of life. Easy going and relaxed.

Rene

hello everybody

I read your reactions and I think it's funny because....

My personal reason to migrate to australia is to become a more relaxed person. And I have the feeling that I need a environement that can help me, because it doesn't work here in Holland. I'm allready trying to work on it and I do my best but sometimes.....
And offcourse I'm aware of the time it takes to get a visa. I'm on the forum now for a few months so (and allready addicted).

Well I do my best to be easy going and relaxed!!!

elzelien

Hello everybody,

I need a bit help with my grammar.

Does someone know when I should use a gerund and when I should use an infinitive?
I know the difference, but I do not know if there is some rule for this.
If there is, can somebody explain this to me, please :).

Thanks,
Mel

[quote author=sidonia link=topic=2886.msg35898#msg35898 date=1131660942]
What is a gerund?
[/quote]

A noun that is formed from a verb and which describes an action.
In English it ends in -ing, e.g. ‘the baking of bread' and ‘Smoking damages your health'.

hello Jean76 ,

Practise makes perfect .. just practise as much as you can or when you think about it ....

G'day Elzelien,

Have you figured out yet on which visum you are going to Oz??

[quote author=Robert en Elzelien link=topic=2886.msg34950#msg34950 date=1131135555]
We are bussy trying to get every informatie we need to start the Visum application. My boyfriend is probably the head apllicator. Well we will see how it is going.
Elzelien
[/quote]

I must say the practicing at home is a very good idea, I'm doing the same thing with Katrina, only then in Dutch.
I have never had a problem with speaking the language but more with writing it since I'm dyslectic.
Anyway keep up the good work, and you will see that once you practice it enough it will become a second nature.

Greetz,
Koen

Hello Koen

We are trying to get a skilled independed visa. But I'm also thinking of going to study in melbourne. Then there's also a possibility that I go for a studentvisa and my boyfriend is going with me. And from there on we are trying to get an other visum so we could stay longer.

It would be best if we could get a skilled independed visa and if that does't work we've got option two: the student visa.

For me the wrinting is also the most difficult part. This is a very good option to practise.

thanks for your support.

Greetz

elzelien

[quote author=Robert en Elzelien link=topic=2886.msg36692#msg36692 date=1132151691]
For me the [size=12pt]wrinting[/size] is also the most difficult part. [/quote]

I can see that!! No worries, mate, typo's are allowed!

Rene

Hoi,

Well I wish the two of you all the luck in the world to get that visa, I guess that as most of us you can't wait to leave the Netherlands.

Your writing is very good, and I think that it helps to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them. What you also can do is write texts in word and then use the spell checker, then you have to choose which word you mean if the spelling was incorrect.

@Rene,

Maybe it is nicer when you do not BLOW UP the mistakes that people make, it might scare people to write in English again, if it's going to be printed big in a reply. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the mistake, but please if I make a mistake then don't blow it up.... :-(

Greetz,
Koen

@ Koen

I agree wholeheartedly with your reply. I only wanted to emphasize WHERE the mistake was made. Sometimes you can't see where you made one. Don't forget, I did mention the fact that it was most likely a typo.
My old teacher emphasized the mistakes by putting a big red line through the words spelled wrong.
It's not to belittle the persons who made the mistakes, if it looks like a typo, I will say so and I hope it will not be taken as critisism.
I pride myself of writing practically faultless English. (Me being the perfectionist ad nausea.) I have been told that by many English speaking people. It is therefore not up to me to criticize others on their spelling mistakes. I do, however, amaze myself on the, in practically all of the replies, almost perfect English of the forum members. I have seen, as I have commented before, worse English on an English forum by English speaking people.
I have also seen mistakes in the replies made on this thread. Sometimes it makes me want to comment on that. But then I think to myself; "At least they're trying to do their best." And leave it at that.

Once again Koen, I do NOT see your comment as criticism!!! But I did (maybe because I had to get out of bed this morning to go to work) feel the need to seek a certain amount of self-protection on my side. (I am very vulnerable early in the morning.)

A last thing Koen, definitely NO HARD  FEELINGS, and I won't comment on any mistakes that you (might) make in the near future.

Rene

No worries mate, no hard feelings what how ever  :up:

I think it is a good thing that we help each other, as I said before one can learn from it's mistakes...!
My Father was a teacher and being the son of one made me stand out in class, every time I made a mistake he would set me as the example how not to do it. Until they diagnosed me with dyslexia.

So I guess that between the two of us we have covered all grounds... :lol:

Take care and I'll see you soon on the 4th of December. (by the way did you receive the CD?)

Greetz,
Koen

This is NOT to critisize!!!  :up:
Maybe just to help you; When you use the "it's". That is an abbreviation for "it is". I think you meant "its mistakes" (like "his" or "hers")
[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg36785#msg36785 date=1132214607]
from it's mistakes...![/quote]

Also,
no hard feelings what how ever
As far as I know [size=12pt]it's[/size] (it is) usually phrased as; "what so ever". I use the phrase "what ever" as a derogatory remark. Like when my boss tells me that I did something wrong; "Yeah, all right, what ever"

I must admit to the fact that I really do love English, that is, reading it, writing it, disecting it, analysing it, etc.

(by the way did you receive the CD?)

I was under the impression that I sent you a PM as a "Thanks" for the CD. If I neglected to do that, my most sincere appologies. But, yes, I did receive your CD. I have been trying to lighten some with a special program I have, and some came out quite well. But most have a rather large amount of pixels that I can't seem to get rid of. The end result is that the photo's are rather coarse. I need to find the time to do as many as I can, so I can put the photo's on the web, so others can see the fun we had in Tilburg.

I hope I have been of some help.
Rene

Yippeee!

An English thread!

Thank the heavens, or in this case, thank you Sheila  :-D.
You saved me, my Dutch is horrible!

I really don't have the slightest clue as what to write about right now, but I love it already.

:up:
Annemarie

Hé Annemarie,

It has been going like a bat out of hell for a month now!! Since 18th okt 2005. Where have you been???

Now's your chance to go for it. Any topic is allowed.

Rene

Actually I'm joining in on the english language department right now.
taking the liberty:

This is a site which has helped me improve on my english enormously over the past couple of years.
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Dictionary, thesaurus (I especially recommend this one, it never hurts to have some synonyms)
they even added an encyclopedia! ... ah it's based on the wikipedia database.

Good old Wikipedia is still my favorite.
http://www.wikipedia.org/

I've actually been in Melbourne for 2 weeks, scouting ahead a little. I like it a lot.
But I'm not a big city person. Another month or so and I'll hopefully know
which school I'll be going to. And then another month to get the visa going.
It's a bl**dy eternity! :evil:

What's up with you?
(Meaning to say: How's it going?)

:)

Have fun, Mates!

Hi Annemarie, missed you the last couple of weeks, anyway how are you doing???!!!??? Oh by the way, is your logo a turtle or a turtois (turtoise, turtoeuiseijieiiise???)  :lol: :lol:

Nice to 'see' you again.

Bye

Miranda  :)

Heyo Miranda!

Yeah, I've been lazy. I'm really not up to date on the forum.
Life is so exciting at the moment.
And I've got my parents over for a visit at the moment. Which is nice
yet exhausting, as you can probably imagine. At least they've made their
peace with the fact that we're leaving, which is far more than I had dared to hope for.

I've sent my applications and Audition DVDs to three schools.
(Melbourne, Wagga Wagga and Brisbane) and I'm now waiting for results.
I'm really bursting with anticipation over here. Although I'll actually
still have to wait for a while... doesn't stop me from being excited
whenever I open my mailbox (both , the real one and email), though.

The logo... eh to be honest with you, I don't
have the slightest (clue). My guess is, it's a turtle, the shell looks like it's
made for underwater life. But I'm no Biologist, mind you. Let's declare it a turtle.
Or Turtle-ish-Shaped-Exhibit-A-With-Watermelon  :-D

So, what's new from you? You're on your way real soon now, aren't you?

(I also realize that I'm especially careful with my english right now,
strangely enough. Trying to be really neat  :wink:)

:)
Annemarie

Back