For everyone who feels like speaking English....

Hey peoples,

Thought I'd join this 'smackin' your gums in English' topic: looks like fun!  :p
Now we keep talking about English (at least in the last couple of pages, can't be bothered to read all the pages of this conversation), how 'bout Stralian?  :lol:

Anybody ever read any of the Les Norton books?
They're great education for learning the Ozzie slang! It definetely helped me when I was working in a pub in the Outback and people used words like 'fair dinkum mate' and 'give us a tinny of ...' and 'pour me a middy, will ya, love'.

Great language! :up:
Inacar

hello Inacar,

And welcome to this topic.

yes we use alot of wierd and funny Langs and 'fair dinkum mate' is only one of them , and of cos the other one ou wrote down ....

Well i use the slang alot and i don't even know when i'am .. :-D When we talk to our Dutch friends i have to be told to slow my words down  and to make more sence, as the dutch don't know  the Aussie slang words.....

Koen  learnt the Aussie Lang when he first came here and now of cos his just use to hearing it .

Good luck and i hope you get alot of Comments back to you!! :up: :lol:

Katrina :)

Cheers Katrina,

I married the biggest Ocker around, so I'm still learning and appearently I now come out with a few sayings that no-one uses anymore!
How about: "'struth!" and "flat out like a lizard drinkin'"... I reckon they're great ways of putting things. Or: "dog's eye and dead horse"! Thats culture! :D  :-D

I often speak with a Dutch friend who also lives in Oz, and we have developed this Dunglish: we keep throwing in English words, coz we just can't think of  the Dutch ones fast enough! Especially words I never used in Dutch before I came over, like 'superannuation', or 'mortgage', or 'kindy'... all very grown-up terms...

Thanks for responding Katrina, I really wonder if anyone has ever heard of the Les Norton books...

Catcha, :lol:
Inacar

[quote author=Inacar link=topic=2886.msg65026#msg65026 date=1152433718]
How about: "'struth!"
[/quote]

Sounds german... Apfel-struth-el
Anyway, what does Ocker mean?

Aaah, going to Czhech this thursday... I wonder how my English will be  towards the Czech locals I refuse to talk Germ(a)n!
Almost vacation  :cool:

I have to say, last few weeks I gre closer to some of my friends, and the 'going to Oz'-feeling is getting in a clinch (is that english?) with that. Oh well, I have to wait another 5 years anyway :(

Very interesting site indeed!!!
Did any of you also made up words yourself during your stay in Oz, something like a secret language that nobody could understand?
We used the words BOF (Bloody Old Fart), or DE (donut eater) ?

I'm pretty good in inventing new dutch words ;) Most of the time it's just about switching the characters of words :)
Pretty funny!

Cheers Fletch,

Good site, although limited.
Couldn't find: stoked: pretty damn happy, for instance.

But good on ya for tellin' us about the link!  :up:

Catchaz,
Inacar

I have had a funny day the other day with hans from Sara, I was speaking english to him most of the time, but when Katrina wasn't listening I was speaking dutch to him, or at least I tried to, I said some dutch words with english prenounciasion, which was quite funny. Also later I was speaking dutch but build the sentences up like I was speaking english. :blond:
At night I did it the other way arround and Katrina laught her socks of because it sounded real stupid, ofcourse I had to change it again after that.  :-D

Cheers, I think I better slap another shrimp on the barbie  :wink:

Gr.Koen

Whahahaa! I'm picturing it Koen ;) Well... laughing is good for your health!
I had it once at an international scoutcamp. We were talking english most of the time, but when Maluka and I were alone in the tent I still talked english to him. I was even thinking in english!
Do you already have that too?

I get that, but I speak English most of the time.

I know this sounds snobby and most people think I'm just making it up, but after having lived here for 2.5 years, I gotta think if I want to talk Dutch! Guess that would be because I married an Ozzie, work in a job where e-mails are written and the right words need to be used, and hardly speak with any Dutchies, except on the phone to the family and some friends.

On the other hand, sometimes I still throw in Dutch words and people don't even notice!

I often start sentences with maar, weet je dat, waarom, hoe, and then when you correct in the rest of the sentence, people won't even notice!

Do you ever get that?

Inacar

Hey Inacar,

it doesn't sound snobby or snotty at all. Before I met some people here from the forum, I didn't haven anybody to speak Dutch to, so most daily subjects I thought in English. Venting though, I do in Dutch (my husband speaks 10 words Dutch), and I think that's just as well.... heh heh.

When I'm on the phone with Sylvia we both speak Dutch AND English, whichever comes to mind first. When everything you do, is in English, more and more thinking will be done in English too.

Although, when I talk to myself, when I'm by myself, it could be either Dutch or English, there seems to be no rule there.

Oh well, think about it; our Australian friends don't speak a word of Dutch, while they address me as if English is my native language. Makes me feel I have something extra :) A whole language!! :)

Hiya!

I often start sentences with maar, weet je dat, waarom, hoe, and then when you correct in the rest of the sentence, people won't even notice!
  :-D yep, you are not alone there!!!  :-D.

Pretty much the same thing here, we do speak a combination of Dutch & English at home....I guess depending on what word pops up first :). I do prefer to speak English however, just "feels" better....I know, I know I do have a big fat accent but still.. :)

Bye for now
Syl

Back