For everyone who feels like speaking English....

You mean they don't know what a Maccas aussie brekkie barbie roll is outside Australia?

nah, just lived with aussies....:p
did not know it existed
I suggest havin' a few tinnies at the barbie with the blokes and the sheilas will get ya started :D

It's quite common in the entertainment industry (movies etc.) But often the otherway around. Learning an English or American accent.

Haha, nice one.

Reminds me of this joke;
Barbecue Routine
1) The woman buys the food.

2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

Here comes the important part:

4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....

5) The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.

6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

Important again:

7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine.....

8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:
bbq_water_on_flaming_grill_lg_clr.gif

10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11) They tell good old Aussie barbie jokes like:
Question: What do you call a boomerang that wont come back?
Answer: A stick.

12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed 'her night off.' And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women....

Anybody ever did something like learning/training to get an Australian accent?
For example with an organization as:

http://www.australiaenglish.com/Accent Reduction/Accent Reduction Intensive training/australian_accent_training_Canberra.html

Or via self paced video training?

Have a look on youtube. Some videos about that subject. A funny one where an Australian girl and an US dude sit next to each other and get questions over internet such as "how do you call an outside kitchen?" (Excuse my lame example) and the guy says barbecue and the girl says barbie. But they also use completely different words (crisps/chips) etc. But there are also more serious ones.

Have a look on youtube. Some videos about that subject. A funny one where an Australian girl and an US dude sit next to each other and get questions over internet such as "how do you call an outside kitchen?" (Excuse my lame example) and the guy says barbecue and the girl says barbie. But they also use completely different words (crisps/chips) etc. But there are also more serious ones.

YouTube doesn't listen to my 'bad' pronunciation ;)

Capsicum, Zucchini.. America will be like whatttttt??
Ahum... In the US of A (America is the whole of two continents) they use zucchini as well. Plenty of other examples of different words for the same thing, even caused by Dutch influences in the US of A ;)

Ahum... In the US of A (America is the whole of two continents) they use zucchini as well. Plenty of other examples of different words for the same thing, even caused by Dutch influences in the US of A ;)
Really?! I thought they used courgette.

Reviving this thead again... See how short/long lived it will be this time. It's almost like a tradition. Hope no one is offended as "Dutch" people are on the roll killing traditions :)

Typo :p

We just got back from a 10 day trip to Denmark/Albany/Esperance. It's beautiful out there! We loved the picturesque town center of Denmark. Esperance couldn't really live up to our expectations any more though. Way too cold, especially the ocean water and going for the beaches was our main focus. It was interesting to wake up in the morning, have the camping sky covered in grey smoke, smelling a typical wood burning odour and have ash raining down on you. There was fire nearby, quite severe, but luckily that contained and controlled it within a few days.
Due to fires we had to avoid taking the Southern route as it was opened with limitations after a huge fire which wiped out an entire village (Yarloop). When we arrived at our friends' house to pick up our dog we saw more smoke from a fire near Rockingham. A lot of fires going on here :s

OFX
Back