For everyone who feels like speaking English....

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40346#msg40346 date=1134457171]
Do you you feel more convident speaking or writing english?
[/quote]

Reading through the replies over the last couple of weeks, I think it's improving. More and more members are writing, and are not afraid to make mistakes.
I do, however, think that there are members who have certain reservations as how to help people with their spelling mistakes (afraid to step on toes?).
I see some mistakes, but am inclined to forego my suggestion as to where the mistake is and how to correct it.
Ok, some members have given the ok to correct their spelling mistakes. I do think that in some cases it might be seen as critisism.

Still, I think it's a good thing to have started.

Rene

Ps "convident" should be "confident"

Thanks Mate,

I notice that I am trying to make as little mistakes as possible, how difficult this is since I have to admit using the spellings checker at work all the time.
But I gain a lot of knowledge from typing in this thread without using the spellings checker and have to admit that it is making me more confident about my writing.

I know I have said before that people might be offended by the corrections made by others but I'm not one of them. I'm not native to the english language so if I can learn more about the use of the language the better it is when I'm down under. The better the chances get when applying for certain jobs.

I hope everybody who reply's to anything here is willing to answer the questions I have asked before, just for me to get an idea about what is living among the people that have joined us during the course of this thread. (Rene, you might have to help me out on this one, it doesn't sound right the way I just wrote it).

Anyway am looking forward to your reply's.

Greetz,
Koen

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40359#msg40359 date=1134468550]
I hope everybody who reply's to anything here is willing to answer the questions I have asked before, just for me to get an idea about what is living among the people that have joined us during the course of this thread. (Rene, you might have to help me out on this one, it doesn't sound right the way I just wrote it).
[/quote]

Sounds right to me mate, I couldn't have phrased it better.
I too, am curious as to how others find if this thread is helping them.

Rene

Ps. The singular is "reply", the plural is "replies". Any word which ends with an "Y" has "ies" when it is used as a plural.

I haven't participated much in this topic, but I have read almost all replies and messages, so if anything, my Reading skills must have approved since the beginning of this thread.  :wink:  :lol:

Sara

:up: Great to hear Sara, it will be a positive thing, how is your speach going?

@Rene, thanks again, I guess I already knew that but it didn't come out the way I intended... :? :wink:
You can also look at it from this point of view, as long as I make writing mistake you have your work cut out for you ...... :-D.... with fixing my errors....lol

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40368#msg40368 date=1134470833]
You can also look at it from this point of view, as long as I make writing mistake you have your work cut out for you ...... :-D.... with fixing my errors....lol[/quote]

Yeah, right, I love you too!! :lmao:
:loldevil: :loldevil:

I consider my English skills to be okay....I had a 8.5/9 on all my IELTS components, although I realize that that doesn't mean a thing in real life and actual conversations....
There is always room for improvement and I love to learn (I guess that explains why I have been studying for more than 10 years now  :wink: ), so please feel free to correct my mistakes!
I practice my English mostly with my English-speaking friends, who are English, Jewish, Canadian, Swedish, Hungarian.... in Brussels....the best city in the world, where you get to speak other languages every second you are there. I love languages and plan to follow a course of Portuguese when I arrive in Alice.

I'm learning that I still have a lot to learn.
I was a bit lazy with my english. There's nothing wrong
with being content, but that keeps you from improving.
So I'm checking a dictionary more often again, and am
mindful about my grammar, and I'm aware more often
that some phrases I use might not be quite right.

About the correcting... well sometimes I see a lot of
tiny things in a post and they're so small that I believe
the writer will figure them out on their own eventually.
And they're really on the right track, too. Plus, I think
it would drive me crazy to find every fault.

Maybe I should correct things more often  :-D
And I can learn a thing or two as well, I already did.

Sara: You were probably looking for "improved".
"approved" means more something like accepted and apprechiated.
Or is that what you were trying to say?

Koen: I'm not familiar with the term: "what is living among ... "
What does it mean?

:)
Annemarie

Annemarie,

Koen: I'm not familiar with the term: "what is living among ... "
What does it mean?

It means what it says, what is keeping you bussy, what is on your mind, and in this case the question means what do people think about the questions I have asked, do people think they manage to speak and write english enough or aren't they as confidant  as the want to be. In other words what is the opinion on this topic.

I hope this explains it a bit for you.... :up: :wink:

While we are in a learning curve....
and I'm aware more often
that some phrases I use might not be quite right

I would refraise this sentence into the following:

and I'm more often aware that some phrases I use might not be quite right.

In my opinion this sentence (Just in case people might think that I am sentencing somebody... I meant the other word for phrase...  :lol: :-D) is more fluent than what you wrote, how ever I guess that we better ask the expert among us... Rene what is your opinion?

@Rene.... Yeahhhhhhh he loves me.... :flowers: :blush: :dizzy: :applaus:

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40377#msg40377 date=1134473021]

Yeahhhhhhh he loves me.... :flowers: :blush: :dizzy: :applaus:

[/quote]

:lol1:

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40377#msg40377 date=1134473021]

I hope this explains it a bit for you.... :up: :wink:

[/quote]
Yep, it did. Thanks!

"and I'm more often aware that some phrases I use might not be quite right. "
Sounds nice  :wink: I will adopt this little sentence into my family.

btw: "busy", and it's called the "spell checker" (just looked it up)

and a "confidant" is a person you share secrets with  :secret:
"confident" is the right one (probably a typo, but a nice one  :-D)

@ Jassian,

You were about two seconds before me with your answer!! But that's just about the same way I wanted to answer it.

and I'm aware more often that some phrases I use might not be quite right.
That might be better this way; "and I'm quite often aware that some phrases I use might not be quite right."

And
apprechiated
might be better as "appreciated".

Oh, I just love the English language!!

Rene

Thanks for that, I knew what I wanted to say however sometimes I get confused and write the words like I hear them (dislexia).  :|

I understand that we can write endlessly about all the mistakes but as you said before it's hard to better a mistake while you make mistakes yourself as well. So thats why I don't intent to better people, Cause I know I'm not whitout errors myself. It is to hard for me to learn a dictionary of by heart... so I will just keep on practicing and asking you all to be my spell checker.... :up: :-D

@Sara, I'm amazed how you manage to promote two places you love in one sentence:

I practice my English mostly with my English-speaking friends, who are English, Jewish, Canadian, Swedish, Hungarian.... in Brussels....the best city in the world, where you get to speak other languages every second you are there. I love languages and plan to follow a course of Portuguese when I arrive in Alice.

Now what do I have to cheer on for you??? NT (Alice) or Brussels...???  :| :lol: :-o
GO.......???  :? :wink:

@Rene, here you are mate.... love me just a littlebit more...hahaha

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40385#msg40385 date=1134474729]

@Sara, I'm amazed how you manage to promote two places you love in one sentence:

Now what do I have to cheer on for you??? NT (Alice) or Brussels...???  :| :lol: :-o
GO.......???  :? :wink:

[/quote]

I am still promoting Alice, but I will never give up my Brussels!!!!

Go Alice and Bxl!!   :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

"and I'm quite often aware that some phrases I use might not be quite right."

Yeah, but that's not exactly what I'm trying to say.
Because, usually I'm not. It's only recently that I'm starting to realize
again that some of my phrases are slightly off  :)

[quote author=Rene-L link=topic=2886.msg40384#msg40384 date=1134474651]
And
apprechiated
might be better as "appreciated".
[/quote]

:-D right, that one's better !

Ok, specially for Sara......

[move][glow=blue,2,300]:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:  ......GO NT... GO ALICE..... GO BRUSSEL..... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:[/glow][/move]

Greetz,
Koen

Brugge is beautiful, but Brussels is even more beautiful! Visit it with someone who knows the city and you'll be amazed! There are such great spots, with a very rich history!
And apart from that, Brussels is a town with a huge variety of people, who all have very interesting things to say.
I love the fact that you can go and have a drink in any type of bar, and you'll meet several types of people, talk several languages and have different adventures every day! It is a cosy, broadminded city that welcomes anyone and sadly suffers under the idea of most people that it is a dark, dangerous place....

Sara,

After reading several replys from you about your beloved Brussels, I can only say that the mental picture you have given me is the following:

• It's a beautifull town
  • You can drink a lot in different bars
  • there are plenty of foreign people around so you will fit in!
  • It is a cosy, broadminded city that welcomes anyone

However because I have met you I still have the idea that Brussels is a dangerous town aspecially for MEN...... I'm just ... how can I put it.... afraid that there are some Belgian people that love... "klootjes".... to much and that when it is dark a lot of women are on the hunt for..... them.... :| :lol:

:lol1: :loldevil: :lol1: :loldevil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Greetz,
Koen

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg40405#msg40405 date=1134483479]

However because I have met you I still have the idea that Brussels is a dangerous town aspecially for MEN...... I'm just ... how can I put it.... afraid that there are some Belgian people that love... "klootjes".... to much and that when it is dark a lot of women are on the hunt for..... them.... :| :lol:

Greetz,
Koen
[/quote]

Exactly, women are part of the dark side of Brussels, but some women are worse than others.....  :wink:

Back