For everyone who feels like speaking English....

Ever since I have spent my chrissie in the sun, I love it and have mor fun, just like you said, snow and cold makes it feel like old.

I rather spent my christmas in Oz, even though it is a bit of a culture shock... seeing Santa in the sun... :-D

Just some thoughts...

A white christmas that'll be the only thing I will possibly miss in Oz :cry:.
I love a white christmas. Not that we've got so many white christmases.

And like Miranda said:
[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg41089#msg41089 date=1135061028]
I guess it's the nostalgic feeling of old X-mas cards with snow, sitting by the fireplace (old days) and feeling warm and safe.
[/quote]

White Christmas: peace, etc..., but than the next day, when we have to go to work and the roads are all messy, almost everybody on the road shouts to each other and the whole christmas feeling is gone...

Hmm, White Christmas...
Depends on where I am. Do I have to go to work or am I on holiday? (how selfish is that :|)
But anyway, I think in the end I'll choose a White Christmas (just the nostalgic feeling).

Have a nice (white? :roll:) christmas :up:.

Mel

Last night on the news it told us that we have had 6 white christmasses in the last 100 years.

Defenition of a "white" christmas: the whole of the country has to be coverd by a all decking layer of snow wihtout any gabs.

The last white X-mas we had in the netherlands was in 1992 when we had about 20cm of snow. :cry:

So in reality it is more in the mind than in actual nature. (in holland that is).

Gr.Koen

I don't know... this will be my fourth Aussie Xmas but it still doesn't really do it for me...

It's not snow I miss (I can't remember too many white Xmas days anyway...), just the wonderful atmosphere of Christmas at my parent's place.
Decorations, candlelight, long afternoon walk in the cold - all wrapped up in winter coat, scarf and gloves of course -, great dinner cooked together flushed down with lots of great wine... But probably mostly being surrounded by all my favourite relatives and having a good time together.

This year in particular I would have loved to see my sister (who is almost 5 months pregnant) and my little nephew who has just learned how to walk and wave. Haven't seen him since he was a tiny baby.

I would jump at the chance to take a flight 'home' this weekend and spend it with them. Not that I'm complaining, I will spend it with my new family instead and it will be fun - just not in a Xmas kind of way...

I just love a white Christmas; on Christmas cards!! The problem with white Christmasses is the fact that it's cold outside!
I HATE the cold. But then to spend Christmas like my sister in a swimmingpool with a deflatable Christmastree (she lives in Cairns) is not my ideal idea of Christmas.
But then to spend time with friends around the BBQ in shorts because it's nice and warm, that appeals to me.

Quite often it should be the time of cheer and jolly and peace to all on earth.
But then like Mel said so pointedly;
[quote author=Bawurra link=topic=2886.msg41100#msg41100 date=1135066249]
almost everybody on the road shouts to each other and the whole christmas feeling is gone...[/quote]

Let's just try and bring that peacefull feeling over to others, maybe it will become a better place.

To all who read this,
A Beautifull and Peacefull Christmas to everybody.

Rene

Hear hear, I secon that Rene......!  :up:

I think it is what you are use to, Katrina is not used not celebrating X-mas, she also thinks that boxing day is not a x-mas day because everybody in Oz is going on a holiday then.

For us is X-mas not special because my brother has his b'day on x-mas day. This year is special because he turns 40..... :-D.
So we celebrate x-mas with friends on boxing day.

Koen

Did you know that "Boxing Day" is derived from the fact that because everybody had good cheer and jolly and "peace to all" on Christmasday and according to the doctrine of Christianity that we should be forgiving to all of our enemys (and ofcourse our neighbours) and therefore we should not fight on the day that Jesus Christ was born.

But old habits die hard, and the next day we wanted to fight our neighbours again. Well that day was ofcourse a day that, after the fights, quite a few persons could not work, having been beaten up a bit.
So they decared it a holiday; A Boxing Day.

Rene

So then tell me this, where does the second christmasday come from...?
I mean is this just from the English and therefore the Australians or does the same story go for the people in Holland?

I am a christian, and I know that ofcourse christmasday is the day Jesus has been born, however I can not recall anything about the second day....!

Please enlighten me.....

Well, I've got no idea. But then we also have two days with Whitsunday and two days in Easter.
Why is that then??

Rene

As I said.... I haven't got the faintest idea...!  :wink:

I thought you might know since you pretty much are well informed about almost anything... :up:

As far as I know, the second christmasday has nothing to do with religion, it is just an extra holiday wich is instolled? by the goverment and taken over worldwide

[quote author=Wilbert67 link=topic=2886.msg41164#msg41164 date=1135111105]
instolled? [/quote]

Installed! Does that help?? :up:
Rene

A Christmas stol-led? Is that raisinbread with a light in it? Think about it; that's for the bright sparks among us! Or if you can't find the Christmas stol in the dark!
:loldevil:

Rene

Exactly.... man you are awake.... But yes it's a X-mas stol vor people that are night blind.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

A white Xmas to me is beautifull
i love it , yeah i know i nevber since i white Xmas befor . It's just beautiful to look at  and watching it fall from the sky ....
:cool: :)

yeah i know i nevber since i white Xmas befor . It's just beautiful to look at  and watching it fall from the sky

Trina, do you mean : I have never seen a white X-mas before???

I guess it is strange for people who never have seen a white X-mas.... unfortunately they (weathermen) don't expect it to be a white X-mas this year either... :-D :up:

yes that is i think what i meant ....lol

Xmas is way better in the summer time ..... but just to see a white Xmas is just  :up: :up:

Back