For everyone who feels like speaking English....

No Problem Guys ....
hey this topic is full of fun and laughter , you say what you want  and so on ..... people that don't speak to much English and read it , can read the forum and Practise.

no cares if you make a boppy...... oops ( mistake )

we are there to help you along , as people help me in the dutch spell .

:up: :up: :up:
Keep enjoying this topic as it will keep on going till the end  :dance: :dance:

Keep it gi=oig and enjoy it at the same time

Katrina :wink: :wink:

[quote author=Scutch link=topic=2886.msg53785#msg53785 date=1143705203]

Welcome back Annemarie!   :hi: Great to hear you are doing well, and congratulations on your assignment.  English was never my strong point (even though it's my Mother Tongue) so I'm impressed at what you're achieving.

And welcome to Paul, another Brit on the block!  Of course the pressure is on us to write perfect English!  After 13 years here my English gets worse and worse, especially spelling, so it's good to practise here.  :up:

[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I speak English for my work almost all day, but it's just basic English. As soon as I get into a deep conversation, I realize that there are so many word that I haven't used for years. (btw it's practice  :-D)

TUM: It get's especially hard when you're trying to let your emotions show. :lol:
And then even more when those are not supposed to be nervousness! :lol1:

Congrats on your first presentation! You know actually the "trick" is to accept that
you're scared and go from there. But that's far easier said than done  :-D.

Hey Scutch! How's it going?
You know, sometimes I think it's an advantage to not be a native speaker.
because most people see their own language just a an everyday tool.
For foreigners it's the tool of a craftsman or artist.
You simply spend much more time trying to get it right  :-D

[quote author=Gringo link=topic=2886.msg53847#msg53847 date=1143727459]
(btw it's practice :-D)
[/quote]

Good one, you got me Paul!  Told you my English was getting worse, should have spotted that one though, the difference between 'practise' and 'practice' was very well explained earlier in this thread!

@Annemarie:  I think you're right, you appreciate English far more than me, who just takes it for granted.  That's why I enjoyed the 'Balderdash & piffle' program so much on BBC2 as it tried to get to the bottom of the origin of certain words and phrases, it's certainly made me more proud of my own language!

Irene (this is much easier :D), I didn't look at your name that way, but after you've said it, your name makes much more sense =)
Sounds like I shouldn't stay away from a pretty big city anyway. I live 30 minutes of riding on my bicycle from Den bosch now... (and in the night, after a few drinks that travelling time is doubled :p)

But ehm, about the practise/practise:
What is the difference?
practice = noun
practise = verb

?
(I know it's discussed before, as someone said, but this thread is 51 pages  :-o)

I got problems with writing immediately (I always feel like typing immi...and then I can't finish it hehe) and definitely (I had to look the last one up)

jassian/Annemarie: Welcome back, or, 'hello', as I think you are before my time ;)

Think I'm gonna join the thread......always good practice!

practice: = oefening, but "praktijk/bedrijf" as well. As in: accounting practice, law practice etc.
to practise: oefenen. : practising, practised (reads funny anyhow), etc.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you look at the word too often, it gets weird anyhow!!!! I find that happens with lots of words once seriously looked at..... :roll:

Henriette

If you look at the word too often, it gets weird anyhow!!!! I find that happens with lots of words once seriously looked at.....

that's so true  :lol: :lol:

Miran  :)

it's the same for me as well. If I think I have written a word in English, and think it's written wrong, the more I look, the more it looks written wrong.

A lot of the time if you leave it, and go back after a couple of minutes, you can see if it's wrong, what you have done wrong.

I still have trouble with tomorrow. I keep writing tommorrow recently.

she sells sea shells on the seashore

I saw eesaw sitting on a see saw

peter piper picked a pack of pickled peppers

all three three times.

first sober, and then drunk  :-D

Well me i thing your Dutch words are back to front ....

when the dutch write and or speak the say it how it is .
we are the the other way. :-D

[quote author=Sheila link=topic=2886.msg54160#msg54160 date=1143900792]
Well me i thing your Dutch words are back to front ....

when the dutch write and or speak the say it how it is .
we are the the other way. :-D
[/quote]

You lie?  :lol:

[quote author=FOL link=topic=2886.msg54169#msg54169 date=1143914881]
You lie? :lol:
[/quote]

:-D Silly bugger :-D :-D

[quote author=henriette link=topic=2886.msg54001#msg54001 date=1143804230]
practice: = oefening, but "praktijk/bedrijf" as well. As in: accounting practice, law practice etc.
to practise: oefenen. : practising, practised (reads funny anyhow), etc.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
[/quote]

So Paul, was I not right with my 'practise', if I read Henriette's piece then I think I might be or not?  :|

Bloody difficult language English!

Susan  :)

thats how i see it .....
at work  if someone in english ask for a beer : they say can/ may i have a beer please

the Dutch say it how it is :beer / 2-5 beer/s  and no please

some dutch no not all some

Back