For everyone who feels like speaking English....

:-D :-D  :up: not sucking up, yeah right :-D :lol:

anyhow, I am struggling with English AND Dutch at the moment...my parents were here for nearly 7 weeks.....so there was a lot of "Dutch" in and around our house. Even my youngest (4) "thinks" he speaks fluent Dutch........He starts most sentences with the word "Ik" and throws a few "G" & "Sch" sounds in for the show........

Time for bed :)
Syl

With the Sch's and G's he must sound really funny,
I hope you had a great time with your parents and had lots of cuddles  :).
Good night
Mian  :)

He does......he sounds funny, but also pretty cute (and he knows it and uses it to his best advantage :-D), our daughter is 6 and her Dutch is pretty good (well, she had plenty of practice the last few weeks...months :)). On our way to the airport she let out this huge sigh and said........."Oma, nou ga jij weer naar je eigen wereld he?"

Groetjes
Syl :)

Ah... that is so sweet!

It must be strange for the kids to have their grandparents around 24/7 for a while and then they are gone again... On the other hand, they probably do not know any better....

Hope you all have a great weekend .

Well i must be off , don't want to be late for work do i ...NO

Talk soon

Katrina :up: :up: :cool: :cool: :lol:

That's right Lela, for our kids it is "normal" that they see their grandparents only once in a while :). We do email & ring on a regular basis to keep some sort of momentum going and that seems to work pretty good.

The good thing is that you don't have to bicker and argue over "who are we going to this christmas" :-D

Bye for now
Syl

Well... and that's something I'm really looking forward to... not having to discuss and decide when to go where... I just do not like all the mandatory visits!!!

Cool, good to hear that this way works for your childre, cause that's how mine will have to stay in contact with their grandparents when we get to Australia  :)

Later,
Lela

Hey Guys hope you are all well ,

well today is how last day of packing then we are ready to leave tomorrow .... 

i will right  when we get to australia  and have settled in

greetz Katrina

P.S I write hear as on our site ( koen and katrina ) Well only one person is typing Dutch  :-o :-o, so i think maybe i shouldn't type on that Topic  :cry: :cry:

:)Hello Koen and Katrina! and the rest!
I (Marieke) live in the Netherlands in Venray (Limburg) and my boyfriend Liam lives in waterford, Tramore (Ireland).
Hopefully we will be living together soon, wether it's in Holland or Ireland and wait for our bloody visas to be processed!!!
I had to do an Academic test by the way, since there was no general training at the date that I signed myself in for. I found the test very difficult and time consuming, but fortunately passed!!! If i am correct, the two of you are putting your feet on Austalian soil as we speak!!!??? It does make a lot of difference if you have a partner that's a native english speaker... And just like you Katrina, it must be hard to learn dutch.. Please let me know what the first or most common dutch words were that Koen taught you!!! And which words you find most difficult to pronounce!!! Liam is trying to learn dutch, but experiences that it is very, very difficult. I am very curious about your experiences in this matter!
Have a fantastic time in Oz!!!!!!!!
All my best, Mariekske :up:

G'day everyone,
how are you going , we arrived on saturday at melbounre Australia.
Jetlack is a bitch ..... but hey it's very much worth it in the end....

hope to talk to you all soon

Regards
Katrina :up: :up:

[quote author=Sheila link=topic=2886.msg60834#msg60834 date=1148886182]

Jetlack is a bitch .....
[/quote]

Bloody hell, I'd say lack of jet is a bitch!!!  ;-)

Anyway, have a good start :)

Irene

Jetlag is a funny thing, never before I have suffered from it, but maybe because of the fact that I slept 17 of the 22 hours flying time I have developed jetlag. I had actually trouble sleeping the second night, not the first one. We woke up at 04:30 am and just started sorting things in our room because we didn't want to wake up anyone... :?

I have always been a good sleeper and didn't experiemce it before, but this is a weird fenomenan to me. Although I have to admit that 2 days later everythig is fine and I can sleep like a baby.... :up:

Just wondering how many others here in this topic suffer from it or from the lack of it....

Gr.Koen

Hiya Koen and Katrina,

I think the only way to really avoid jetlag when going to Australia....is going by boat  :-D

Everytime when I experience a time difference of more than approx. 4 hours I suffer from jetlag. Makes you feel a 
bit dizzy and disorientated. But after a couple of days you get used to it and adapt the routine I guess.
But I always sleep as much as I can when flying and my husband doesn't. He is the one who has the most trouble
getting used to the time difference. So maybe you have to do what best suits you. O, and I drink loads of water,
as little coffee as humanly  :-D possible and no fizzy drinks (drinks with gas? carbonated drinks??, which one would
you use??)

And waking up at 4.30 is a great time to watch the sun come up and hear the birds sing. I feel a song coming up:
'Always look on the bright side of life.........nice positive song  :up: :-D

take care,

Miranda

I've been to Australia twice and the US twice, so experienced going forward in time and going back.  Must be lucky as I didn't have too much problem.  I slept as much as possible, drank plenty water (no alcohol, coffee) and once at destination stuck to normal bedtimes.

Didn't sleep during my first night in Sydney though, not due to jetlag, but the extremely noisy birds outside!  After purchasing earplugs no problem after that  :sleep:

Next year though we'll be flying with our daughter (2 by then) so hopefully she'll be a good flyer too. 

Hmmm, Indeed a very funny thing that jetlag. On my first three trips to Australia I always suffered jet lag for a couple of days. Like Koen says, waking up at 4 or 5 am, etc. But this last time (April this year, one way trip!) we arrived at 1.30 pm. When we got to our destination we stayed awake (with a bit of effort ;-) till 9pm. Then we went to bed. And after that I had no problem wit jet lag at all (even though I had not slept a minute on the plain, as usual)... Lucky me!

In general I think the best way to avoid (or minimise) jet leg is to plan the trip so that you will arrive in the (late) afternoon, then try to stay awake as long as possible (till 9 or 10 pm). Then go to bed and get up at a normal time.

Perthpete

Drink a lot of water? Does that help? It only makes me go to the toilet even more than I already do ;)
Never experienced such a long flight, so I don't know if a jetlag will bother me. The first oppertunity for me will be at the end of next year probably... We'll see.

Water helps (so I was told) because you get dehydrated when flying due to the dry air. Drinking water
is always a good idea (besided the toilet thing  :-D) because your body works better.

Drinking coke, sprite etc. is (so I was told again  :lol: ) not so good because you are in a
pressured cabine, which does funny things with gas (have you never noticed that you
have to fart  :-o :-o more when flying) in you body OOOOPSS!!!!!

So just back to basics, water, no coffee, tea is ok, not too much to eat, better to eat a light
meal a couple of times.

Miranda  :)

Back