For everyone who feels like speaking English....

[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg43921#msg43921 date=1137593312]
be 'our' quest.

[/quote]

:-D I think you meant guest.
Although.. be our quest has something poetic to it.
You shall  (or thou shalt  :evil:) be our quest (as in enterprise , crusade, adventure, ... )  :-D
BTW all 'comments' here are meant in a friendly , constructive manner.

:up:

Yeah, be our quest sounds great, very Shakespearian!

I think Miranda was right about the NORMAL/UNIQUE topic, that's pretty hard to beat!

OK so anything goes on this topic?   :) 

What about 'what is your earliest memory'?  My earliest memory is missing my potty while doing a No2  :eek:ops!:
and being really scared that my mum would be mad at me!  (she wasn't of course but in the mind of a toddler missing the potty is pretty major!).

My earliest memory was punishment.
I came out of my bed and the room early morning and the people where I stayed (my parents made a trip through Botswana before emigrating from South Africa back to Holland) didn't like that at all :naughty: , maybe because I made too much noise, but that's not what I remember. :evil:
So, I had to stay on my own in the room for some time while the others were having a good time! :-(

@Scutsh wooow... can't believe your memory goes back that far...  :up:
@ Ya Li Shan Da,... that is such a sad story... you poor little thing... is that the cause of you being so adventuares???

I guess mine doesn't go back that far, only thirty years, I was about 3 years old, winter time and we had a bit of a party going.
Then the image I remember is me standing next to my mother both sipping on a cup of coffe looking through the window at the snow that was falling down.  :-D Gives you a warm fussy feeling doesn't it....  :rotflmao:

Greetz,
Koen

I also remember a nice one, but I got no clue if it's
the first one. I gave no way of figuring out the
exact order of my memories.
Wish they had a label with the date on them or something.  :-D

So i think it's my mom singing a lullaby. Actually I even hummed along.
It contained all my favorite toy-friends.  :)

Koen's is nice too.

Scutch :  :)  probably the toddler equivalent of wrecking the car :lmao:

Ya Li Shan Da, give us the first nice memory, I agree with Koen,
poor little you being left behind, doesn't sound very nice to me either.
How mean.

OK, my first memory is when I'm about 3 years old and the twins living next door had their birthday. I clearly remember me going to the back of the room where a table was set out with all kinds of goodies. And with a one tracked mind (yes even then, don't worry my control mechanism has greatly improved since then :-D ) I charged towards the paprika chips. THE END.

Wouw Tum, you memory is way better then mine..... it goes back for three more years further then mine....  :up:

It makes me wonder though ..... what would be the most earliest memory of F.I. Rene, or Ton or Ineke for that matter, will they still be able to remember things from their early childhood?

Lets wait and see.

Gr.Koen  :evil: :up:

Hi all,  thanks for all the replies so far, funny what everyone remembers, I just wonder what my little girls first memory will be, I hope it's not a bad one like Ya Li Shan Da!

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg44009#msg44009 date=1137668554]
It makes me wonder though ..... what would be the most earliest memory of F.I. Rene, or Ton or Ineke for that matter, will they still be able to remember things from their early childhood?
[/quote]
There's only one way to find out. We gotta ask them. :evil:

:-D @ tum: Paprika chips, yes, that would work for me too!  :)

Scutch : maybe if you ask her very early in her life then she'll
remember better or a much earlier one.

Hi Scutch,

Makes me wonder about my son's first memory also. Allthough he's 4 years old, he it still too young too ask him.

Bye

Miranda  :)

Hi Miranda,

I'm sure it'll be a good one!  Anyone else out there with a memory to tell?  Otherwise I'm afraid someone will have to start a new topic!  :roll:

Wow... first memories... what can I say...

I'm not sure if it is my first, but sure one of my earlier ones... I think I was about 3 years old and me and my friend from next door where playing outside on a sunny day and my mum got out a little "bath" with water...

Nothing special I'm afraid and now that I think about it, I might only think I remember this, since I've seen pictures of this "summer scene" so often  :-D

Later,
Lela

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg44009#msg44009 date=1137668554]
It makes me wonder though ..... what would be the most earliest memory of F.I. Rene, or Ton or Ineke for that matter, will they still be able to remember things from their early childhood?[/quote]

Mine goes back 56(!) years. Being two at the time, sitting on the kitchen table getting my face washed by the nextdoor neighbour, with cold water. This was in the house I was born in. Apparently there had been an accident in the shop (owned by my dad, we lived above it then), and my dad and mum could not look after me at the time (read evening).
It has alway been a very vivid memory.

@ Scutch.
I think if you stay on this topic for a while, your English will improve. You can see the improvement of most English replies over the last few pages. Also quite a lot of members have requested corrections, if any mistakes are made. It gives us all a chance to improve, if we are allowed to correct. It also tends to make you re-read the comment that you've written.

Rene

Hi Rene,

Thanks for your memory, I always think it's really interesting to hear what people first remember in life.  My daughter is 8 months now, and I'd love to think her first memory is a happy one!  :)

As for my English I hope it does improve!  You'd think I wouldn't worry about it being a native English speaker, but I grew up on a farm in the North East of Scotland, where we spoke a local dialect called Doric, which the English don't understand, here's an example:

Foo ye deein?  = "How are you"?
Nae bad chavvin awa = "Not bad at all"
Ye ken fit like = ""You know what I mean"    Ken=know which is quite like Dutch!

When I was 22 I went and worked in London for a while and no-one could understand me!   :?

Anyway I was useless at English at school, and now that I've been living in the Netherlands for the last 13 years it's gotten worse, especially spelling!   Of course my spoken English is good, but these days I don't speak it that often.  I get to speak Doric here as a few years ago I met a woman from Aberdeen who lives in Groningen, so we have good fun together.  :lol1:

I read a book by Terry Pratchett called "the Wee Free Men".
They also talked like that. Did they come from your hometown  :wink: ?
(Little blue pixies, not the cute flying kind , but the nasty, swearing, headbutting sort)
What does 'crivens' mean?

Hey I got a new topic for when the other one's exhausted.
Favorite authors and books.
Terry Pratchett ranks top with me, I'll add more later.

:)

I'va always LOVED the Scotch accent, if I may be allowed to call it that. That and bagpipes. I also like the Irish. Their way of speaking and their music.
I've never been to Scotland, and that's made me a poorer man. One day (I've been saying that for years!) I will go there.
But what's the difference between Scotch whiskey and Irish whiskey?

Rene

@Annemarie
Hmmm "a clan of sheep-stealing, sword-wielding, six-inch-high blue men who are as fierce as they are funny", apart from the six-inch-high (Scottish men aren't as tall as the Dutch but they're not that small!) they could be from my home town! 

Sorry don't know the author or book but I just looked it up on the internet, sounds really good so will have to get a copy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle

Apparantly they speak with a heavy Scottish accent, mostly Glaswegian, but looking at the phrases a lot of it is similar to Doric.   Crivens means 'gosh' .

I'm not much of a bookworm, usually just on summer holidays. But this book did make impression on me:

Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones (written from the perspective of a murdered girl)

@Rene
Thanks for the compliments about the Scottish, especially the bagpipes!  Not really a big fan myself, but the longer I'm away from Scotland the more sentimental I get when hearing them  :cry:

[quote author=Rene-L link=topic=2886.msg44308#msg44308 date=1137890035]
But what's the difference between Scotch whiskey and Irish whiskey?
[/quote]

For a start there is a difference in the spelling  :-D in Scotland it's 'whisky', in Ireland 'whiskey'.  A big difference is the use of peat in a lot of Scottish whiskies, found this interesting article in Internet which explains better:
http://www.winexmagazine.com/winexaus/issuefour/ss4.htm

My partners favourite is a single malt Scottich one, Highland Park, which is quite peaty.

[quote author=Koengaroo link=topic=2886.msg43973#msg43973 date=1137654000]
@ Ya Li Shan Da,... that is such a sad story... you poor little thing... is that the cause of you being so adventuares???
[/quote]

I guess that's the reason, my whole family was and still is moving around the world (for at least the last 300 years).
And maybe it's a sad story, but it is actually the only one I remembered from being in South-Africa at that age...my parents left when I was exactly 4 years old. But I have returned to get better ones!

[quote author=jassian link=topic=2886.msg44292#msg44292 date=1137863517]
Hey I got a new topic for when the other one's exhausted.
Favorite authors and books.
[/quote]

I always like to read books of the country where I'm going to. At this moment I read one which story is happening in Africa ("On foot through Africa" by Ffyona Campbell), but that's because I haven't finished it yet and it is in english.
But I would like to read more stories which are happening in Australia, so maybe somebody knows a good one (english version of course)? It always helps to know more about the country... :up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle
Good link, Scotch. Yep, that's them, alright. They're so funny.
The way they use "crivens" it always seems like it's some sort of swear word. *L*
I would never have guessed 'gosh'  :evil:

Pratchett is wonderful. A very good observer, you can choose to read his books
for the laugh (and laugh you will, even in in public!) or you can choose to look a little
deeper. I really recommend his books.

Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones (written from the perspective of a murdered girl)

Would be too scary for little me  :speechless:   :-D

@ Shan Da:
I'll keep my eyes open, If I find a good book which takes place in Australia I'll let you know.
Pratchett wrote a book about a fantastic version of Australia (called XXXX or fourecks or the
last continent  :-D) It's very funny, but a little larger than life.

It says in a footnote : "*Not Australia. Honest." .. hmm. I have my doubts.
Book is called : "The Last Continent"

Another discovery is a really great actor who apparently can write very well, as well.
(a lot of well's  :-D )
He wrote a book about the past (and future) of a character he played on Star Trek.
The book's a treat (also for non actors and non sf fans) : "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew J. Robinson.
It's cool! Bloody honest , very human (even though it's about Cardassians  :-D )
[size=10pt]I was learning something new about myself - an emerging desire for power,
but a power that had less to do with mastery over others than it did with connecting to them.[/size]

Is this cool or what?  :)

Back