For everyone who feels like speaking English....

Hiya Irene!!

The Dutch night? Do you mean the First-Thursday-of-the-month-one in the Belgium Beer Cafe? No, I didn't...I was at home with my kiddies and most probably watching Lost & the Amazing Race. I might try the next one, my parents a.k.a. live-in-baby-sitters are arriving the end of this month :up: :) so who knows!!!

What about you?

Bye
Syl

:-D Hiya Irene-Joe :-D I guess that is my biggest down fall I do not have a proper Calendar.....and even if I did... I most probaby would forget to use it to its full advantage...... :)

But let's give it a shot next month!!!! Please remind me closer to the date :)

Syl

@ Koen: okidoki :)

@ FOL; what, by Me, Myself and Irene?

@ Syl & JOE; April 6th? Ik stuur wel een reminder... :) Hopeloze meiden....

Had a little chat with a colleague during my break. His son is in Australia right now and he's in "Purts" or Perth ;) and this weekend I spoke to a friend of my mom and she stayed in Brisbeen (speak out in dutch ;) ) for 3 weeks last november.... What is it with (older) dutch people and English ;) Just like no one older than 50 can say Brisbane or Perth ;) there are, off course, some exceptions ;) My dad can do it though, but he had some english colleagues at work and used to travel a lot for his job.

Yeah well, I do understand people pronouncing Brisbane as 'Brisbeen', as it does read that. Some things have to be learned. Just like 'salmon' is pronounced here as 'sèmmun'. Hey, try ordering a Grand Marnier! That's a Kran Manjee for you :)

It's sometimes difficult to get the sutleties; Brad, bread, Brett!

How about a frog in a frock...... :-D

It is hard though....My mum (who does not speak a lot of English at all) can not get her tongue around "Three".....and believe me we have practiced :-D :-D No Mum, it is not Free or Tree it is th....th....th.....three

Syl :)

Your mum is not the only one, Syl. I had soooo much trouble with "three" when I first got here! Was always good for a laugh though...  :)  Our current phone number has four 3's so I get heaps of practice  :-D

To me the ultimate accent test is when I need to call companies that work with a voice response system. Nine out of ten times the system ends up putting me through to an operator... "we did not understand your entry"  Aaaargh - frustrating!  :wall:

I definitely also recognise Irene's problem with for-to-on-with-of-... (or was it off?)  :| Right now I seem to have this problem with words that I hardly ever use and exist in Dutch as well, like patio or fuchsia - although I realise they are probably pronounced differently I often end up pronouncing them the Dutch way. Not recommended for fuchsia by the way, I got some funny looks!  :lol:

:-D :-D Just say Tulip instead :up: unless you really like Fuchsia's ....Foesia sounds a bit dodgy too by the way :-D thank goodness I don't really like them....

Hihi....the voice response thing.....My hubbie just said "Complaint" the other day and he was speaking to a "real" person in seconds :) :up:

Syl

[quote author=BlizzardofOz link=topic=2886.msg50573#msg50573 date=1141628454]
Right now I seem to have this problem with words that I hardly ever use and exist in Dutch as well, like patio or fuchsia - although I realise they are probably pronounced differently I often end up pronouncing them the Dutch way. Not recommended for fuchsia by the way, I got some funny looks!  :lol:
[/quote]

That reminds me of a story that my English teacher told us a copple (?) of weeks ago.
Last year they went on an excursion to London. One of her students went to a shop to buy some cigarettes and asked: "Can I have a shag, please?" He also tried to pronounce it in his best English. People in the shop were laughing and he didn't know why, untill he asked his English teacher :-D...

This year (in April) we are going to London aswell. I can practice/practise my English and I hope that I do not get in some sort of situation (when is it practice and when is it practise by-the-way?). But on the other hand, we all learn from our mistakes.

Mel

(If there are any or a lot mistakes in this text, feel free to correct them :up:. No offence taken :))

Yep, give it a go! Joe!  :-D :up:

Hiya Mel

Hihi.....how funny, he probably gave up smoking after that!!

I am going to give it a shot....If I am not mistaken...practice is the noun, and practise the verb! (I still mix them up :)) same  as with licence & license...so, it should read "I can practise my english"...errr....  I hope that is right :? :)

copple (?)
that should read couple :up:

Bye
Syl

Yep Syl that sound good... :up:

Hey and Mel
This year (in April) we are going to London as well
if you check with the checker you will see that as well are to seperate words. otherwise it might be a swell or aswell... :-D

No problems with that I got taught by the spellchecker ..... :-D :up: :wink:

Gr.Koen

The mom of an ex-boyfriend of mine could'nt say "th" either.... She used to say Souspark instead of Southpark.
And my dad had an American colleague who used to visit us often. The first time he was with us, my mom asked him "Do you want coffe? Black or zwart?" Well... at least she's trying it ;)

ofcourse every body knows the tv serie "North & South" which became even due to the "omroepers"  nors and saus.

gr.Koen

Well, here's SME again... :-D

First of all, (Koenkakangaroes); "I got taught" is really no English. Even though one might say it, it's not the way to write. And really, just don't make a habit of it, it's really pretty poor English.

Hey, and what means "... the tv serie "North & South" which became even due to the "omroepers"  nors and saus"? (I understand the Nors and Saus bit).

Hey Annemiek... this is my mum: "Oh Stiefen... Stiefen.. (Steve, my husband)... ehhhh, you ... ehhh, you like.. ehh, coffee?" Ahhhhhh, the poor guy... LOL

Black or zwart is really funny though :)

And just for entertainment, I tell people in nurseries about how we pronounce Fuchsia in Dutch... Always good for a giggle... :-D

hahahahahaa! okee dan :) En dan vooral dat liedje! Een stekkie van de fuch fuch fuchsia!
Dat zou je eens moeten laten horen aan vrienden joh! :) gegarandeerd lol :)

[quote author=Eerainuh link=topic=2886.msg50262#msg50262 date=1141391045]
@ FOL; what, by Me, Myself and Irene?
[/quote]

Yeah, you three ;)

I have trouble pronouncing the 'th' as well... Not sure if it's because of the room between my two front teeth (which I hate btw, but that's another story).

This one is a superb commercial of language problems...it just GREAT. I think I didn't got it fromthis website, otherwise sorry for the repost :)
http://my.break.com/Content/ViewContentPublic.aspx?ContentID=llUb5gm7114DeZXxznGXvA%3d%3d&ContentTitle=What+Are+You+Sinking%3f&ContentURL=http%3a%2f%2fview.break.com%2f78372

Back