For everyone who feels like speaking English....

mijn vertaler heeft de volgende omschrijving gegeven:

Mavo: Lower General Secondary Education
MBO: Intermediate Vocational Education
Havo weet ik helaas niet...

ha, ha, Mariekse, in English please ;-)

My translator has translated HAVO as: Higher General Secondary Education. That seems to be coherent with the Lower General Secondary Education tranbslation of MAVO.
Peter

sorry Catkin ,

can't help you there , as i wouldn't have a glue of what it means ... sorry .

:up: :wink:

[quote author=Eerainuh link=topic=2886.msg70062#msg70062 date=1157362453]

A glue? OMG! I hope you won't suffer permanent damage :-D :-D
[/quote]

:-D :wink: But it's not a very nice repley on somebody trying her best to speak english!

:) You're right :) (which means 'it's fine). And apart from that, if you want to live here, you will have to stretch your sense of humour quite a bit! If they can pull your leg, they will! Mind you, they take the mickey out of themselves too. :)

The other day we were chatting about airplanes, and how you don't have a parachute but a life jacket  :?. Anyway, I was going to say that, when the engines of a plane would all stop, the change of G-force would kill you. But I said 'G-string'.......... LOL.... Well, believe me, that had everyone in stitches :-D  Just as well I didn't say 'G-spot'!! :-D :-D

[quote author=Eerainuh link=topic=2886.msg70071#msg70071 date=1157364692]
:) You're right :) (which means 'it's fine). And apart from that, if you want to live here, you will have to stretch your sense of humour quite a bit! If they can pull your leg, they will! Mind you, they take the mickey out of themselves too. :)

[/quote]

I'm used to it... I've got a brother and at my work they are doing quite a good job as well.

[quote author=perthpete link=topic=2886.msg70008#msg70008 date=1157335281]
ha, ha, Mariekse, in English please ;-)

My translator has translated HAVO as: Higher General Secondary Education. That seems to be coherent with the Lower General Secondary Education tranbslation of MAVO.
Peter
[/quote]

Wouldn't it be more logical if it was "medium general secondary education" ? And VWO = higher ..
What's VWO then?

And I assume there is no difference between "atheneum" and "gymnasium" translation-wise.... (that's a tricky word)

*quite amused by the 'g-string-thank-god-I-didn't-say-g-spot story'*

A few years back, at a business meeting in London, I meant to say 'we have to be vulnerable'.
Unfortunately my mind was doing its Dutch shift, so I said ' We have to give ourselves naked'. Needless to say it was silent for a few seconds and everyone looked at me in disbelief. One of my colleagues broke the silence and said "well, you go first."

Jaaaa Suske, dat zijn de momenten waar we voor leven! Yeahhhhh! :-D

Translation: Those are the moments we live for.

[quote author=suske link=topic=2886.msg70098#msg70098 date=1157372741]
*quite amused by the 'g-string-thank-god-I-didn't-say-g-spot story'*

A few years back, at a business meeting in London, I meant to say 'we have to be vulnerable'.
Unfortunately my mind was doing its Dutch shift, so I said ' We have to give ourselves naked'. Needless to say it was silent for a few seconds and everyone looked at me in disbelief. One of my colleagues broke the silence and said "well, you go first."
[/quote]

:-D  :lol: It's a good one.

That one's solved: emphaty
But now I need to know Verzorging as a subject (verzorging is care, but how do you name it when it's a subject in school)?

Back