For everyone who feels like speaking English....

I only say that because i don't speak and or write dutch , yes i know the simple words but that's it .  :up:
That's why i made this topic .... :up:

[quote author=Sheila link=topic=2886.msg70309#msg70309 date=1157514299]
I only say that because i don't speak and or write dutch , yes i know the simple words but that's it .  :up:
That's why i made this topic .... :up:

[/quote]

Hi Sheila,

I know that is why you made this topic, but just relax a bit. If I look in this topic there are
some occasional remarks in Dutch, nothing much. I do the same on British Expats, if I
think there is a better English word than the one I used I put it down (between brackets, if
brackets is the word for it  :wink: ) in Dutch. Maybe someone else (there are loads of Dutchies
there too) can give me a better word for it.

In my opinion Irene didn't overdo this and certainly not intentionally. So please, lighten up  :sunny: :rose:

Take care,

Miranda  :)

I think, by know, everybody has said whatever he/ she wanted to say! So it would be time to move on and just have a nice conversation again. Although a nice discussion sometimes can't hurt anyone...

And I hope I'm doing fine in talking and writing in english, because then I would also past the IELTS test... Of course, I've been travelling for about 10 months, when I spoke English the whole time (so I should do fine). But if I look back at my school marks I'm always afraid I can't. I'm just not very good in grammat or write everything perfectly.

But I want to thank you all for helping me out!

Hi Linda (and Catkin),

I would like to hear from natives if the phrase ".. not very good in Dutch ..." would not be right. If I had to choose between "good" and "well" in this case, then I would choose "good"...

So natives, let's hear it!
Peter

Hi Pete,

I´m confused!

[quote author=perthpete link=topic=2886.msg70351#msg70351 date=1157548037]
...if the phrase ".. not very good in Dutch ..." would not be right...
[/quote]

If you say "would not be right", do you mean to ask if it is right or if it is wrong? Ha, it is not all that easy talking, writing, reading in a different language :)

But please enlighten me....

Regards,
Lela

ps. my gut feeling says it should be: my Dutch is not very good

My feeling for the language says me this (but of course, since I am not a native english speaker, I can be totally mistaken)

- I speak english very well
- My english is very good

And when you mean the opposite:

- I don't speak english very well
- My english is not very good.

Just my thoughts....

@Maluka,
I agree with you completely (of course, also not being native ...).

@Lela,
You are right, I would like to hear from natives if the "not very good in Dutch" part is wrong. Now that I am looking at it again I would even wonder if the saying would have to be: "not very good at Dutch".

@Natives,
Where are you? ;-)

- I'm not very good AT tennis, AT Dutch, AT cooking.

- Something sounds nicer IN Dutch than IN English.

:bye:

Beorn,
Thanks for that, it is very clear. My question now would be if the following sentences are both good: "I am very good at Dutch" or "I am very well in speaking Dutch" ?
Peter

Irene,
no worries, the last question is not about the 'IN' and the 'AT' part, but about the 'GOOD' and the 'WELL' part. I have to say I am beginning to lose the actual subject of this thread at the moment ;-) ;-)

Linda,
hmmmmm... it might be too early in the morning for me (although 9 am is not really early of course ;-) ) but I don't recall asking anything about the '-ly' rule at the end ?
Of course, besides that it is very nice to hear the explanation ;-)

Peter

Thanks Linda, I realise I had forgotten the fact that 'well' is the adverb for 'good'.
But now back to my last two sentences:
"I am very good at Dutch" and "I am very well in speaking Dutch". With your explanation I would now say:

The first sentence is right because 'good' must be used since it refers to the 'am' (action verb).
The second one is wrong because 'good' should have been used since it refers to the 'am' again. It does not refer to the 'speaking' (which is an action verb) part, although it is sometimes a bit confusing when the 'speaking' part is in the sentence too.

So, in short: In both sentences 'good' must be used because of the referal to the action verb.

Peter.

Peter,

to put it in Black and White: Well = a state you are in. You are feeling well. How are you? I'm well. (Although..... people have started to say "i'm good', which originally means "braaf").

When a word refers to a verb you add -ly. As Linda said: he speaks softly. Softly refers to the verb, hence the added -ly.
Look at the difference : the pillow is soft. 'Soft' refers to a noun. So no added -ly.

More examples:
That is a beautiful room.
She has done up the room beautifully.

He is a mysterious guy - 'mysterious' refers to a noun (guy)
He has mysteriously disappeared. - 'mysteriously' refers to a verb (disappeared)

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, to keep us alert :)

By the way, an adverb is a 'bijwoord'. Don't mix that up with a pronoun (bijvoegelijk voornaamwoord).

If you see a discriptive word, then wonder what is it that is says something about; is it about a THING, or is it about a VERB. There you go, that's the difference. If about a VERB, then add -ly.

I hope I make sense :)

Hey peoples,
Could we go back to chatting again, and make mistakes?

(feel more at ease with that)

Cheerio!
Inacar

Back