For everyone who feels like speaking English....

I re read an email I've send a couple of weeks ago and I saw
- in my otherwise immaculate English  :hang: :lmao: -
that I wrote:

'for my own piece of mind'  :grin:.

And I must say (the email was to an English person) it wasn't
commented on. Although I would have chuckled a bit if I was
on the receiving end (and probably so did she, but that's ok).

Miranda  :p

[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg76969#msg76969 date=1166084525]
I re read an email I've send a couple of weeks ago [/quote]

send is the present time; in this sentence it should have been "an email i've sent" (sent is here the "voltooid deelwoord" or perfect participle)

about piece/peace of mind: there was an album by Iron Maiden with this name (so it might have become standard practice) :roll:

Something else: My mortgage broker sent me a statement about my payment history, and ended with the line: "I thrust that we gave you enough information... " :grin:

Ah I always get send/sent mixed up.
so it's send send sent like in give gave given  :smile:

And I hope your mortgage broker doesn't sky rocket your payments
with his special thrust  :lol:

[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg76984#msg76984 date=1166105730]
Ah I always get send/sent mixed up.
so it's send send sent like in give gave given  :smile:
[/quote]

Slight but significant remark:

The times of "to send" are:

send sent sent

I send you a letter tomorrow
I sent you a letter yesterday
I have sent you a letter last friday.

"To give" is a regular verb, while "to send" is an irregular verb.

Bart

I see I've got a lot of learning to do if I ever
want to get it right.  :up:

so send sent sent
and spend spent spent

I'll have to check my old school books again  :grin:

Your knowledge of grammar is pretty good isn't it  :smile:

Thanks,

Miranda  :smile:

[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg76987#msg76987 date=1166106861]

[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment!
However, this is not about grammar, but about spelling... (said the wisenose  :p)

[quote author=Bartman link=topic=2886.msg76989#msg76989 date=1166107380]
[quote author=tum link=topic=2886.msg76987#msg76987 date=1166106861]

[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment!
However, this is not about grammar, but about spelling... (said the wisenose  :p)

[/quote]

You're my Einstein in spelling  :humble: :wink:

Hey Ivette,

How did you go with your application? (see below)

About spelling/grammar mistakes: it always makes me feel good when I get an e-mail from an ozzie with typo's in it. Send-sent-sent is one of them. Or their-they're. Oh well, as long as we all understand what we're talking about.

Cheerio!
Inacar

[quote author=Ivette link=topic=2886.msg74236#msg74236 date=1162286367]
Hey guys,

Almost time for me to go to Perth (4 weeks exactly). Funny thing that happend last week.

My religion was looking for translators, so I wrote an email back to them. 10 people responded, so all of us got a big story to translate in a week and then they would have a look who did the best job, because it isn't just about translating it but also to translate it in a nice religious way.... humz....
Got it done pretty quickly (with a little help from interglot and vertalen.nu).
Spoke to my boyfriend and asked him to have a quick look at it. He got a red face and said...'well, me and my mother are asked to check the 10 stories'.... oops...
I couldn't hold my laugh.... What a bummer!!!

Still haven't heard anything from them about who got the 'job'.

Ivette

[/quote]

Hi Katrina,

My name is Devanya. I am 35 and am from Australia too. I am married to Bart (obviously he is Dutch with this name!) and have lived in the Netherlands for almost 6 years. We are returning to Australia in early 2008 to live. Good luck with learning the language!  I recently received the Dutch Nationality (now I have the dual nationality) which was so exciting for me and did the Dutch language exams which were not as difficult as I thought it would be (huge relief!). Where in Australia do you come from & do you intend on returning in the near future?

Best regards,

Devanya

[quote author=Bartman link=topic=2886.msg76985#msg76985 date=1166105988]

Slight but significant remark:

The times of "to send" are:

send sent sent

I send you a letter tomorrow
I sent you a letter yesterday
I have sent you a letter last friday.

"To give" is a regular verb, while "to send" is an irregular verb.

Bart
[/quote]

Say Bart, although I might say "I send you a letter tomorrow" (well, I myself actually wouldn't say that  :roll:) I'd definately wouldn't write it. I'd write: "I'll send you...". Especially in any kind of official communication.

And like Frank said, 'to give' is indeed not a regular verb. 'To walk' is. But you knew that, you were just checking if everybody's paying attention, right? ;-)

And Tum, when we use expressions like 'yesterday', 'last week', 'last year' etc., we use the imperfect (onvoltooid verleden tijd). Last week I sent a letter. Last year we sold the house. But I must admit, this gets back to real school class level, and I find it hard to explain why exactly it is that way. Just a rule that's stuck in my head  :bangcomputer:

Cheers,

Irene :)

Hi Irene,

I'll have to try to get it all lodged in my head. Anyway
the way I see it now is that I have a 50/50 chance
of getting it right  :lol:. No, just kidding, it's just something
I'll have to put my mind to.

But not at the moment though, it's a busy time and
I'm really looking forward to X-mas etc. Not for the
'festive season' but I'm having a fortnight off work and
I've got a short list  :smile: of 'to do' things.

Like: cleaning the house properly this time (really???, I will??? Don't doubt me  :lol:)
    : having a great time with my son, colouring, playing with trains etc.
    : pampering my hubbie who has to work  :cry:  :roll: :wink:

Miran  :smile:

Sounds like a plan Tum. Unfortunately some things will never end, like the household, but just to be able to put your feet up and read a book now and then... mmmmm!

The office I run won't be closed at all. Even worse; I got my Blackberry yesterday, so will be reachable any time of the day now. Great when New Zealand is 3 hours ahead... Nah, I'm not complaining, I'm actually quite chuffed I have the Blackberry; saves me going to the office to check my emails, right?! It's all good :)

Enjoy enjoy enjoy your time off!

:)

I just heard Condoleezza Rice say something funny....

'I will never ever use the word disappointment and Australia in the same sentence.'

If Condoleezza Rice won't say the words "disappointment" and Australia in one sentence, I will...

For us, it's a big disappointment that we still aren't in Australia.

:grin:

[quote author=Eerainuh link=topic=2886.msg77078#msg77078 date=1166253771]

Sounds like a plan Tum. Unfortunately some things will never end, like the household, but just to be able to put your feet up and read a book now and then... mmmmm!

The office I run won't be closed at all. Even worse; I got my Blackberry yesterday, so will be reachable any time of the day now. Great when New Zealand is 3 hours ahead... Nah, I'm not complaining, I'm actually quite chuffed I have the Blackberry; saves me going to the office to check my emails, right?! It's all good :)

Enjoy enjoy enjoy your time off!

:)
[/quote]

OK, blackberry, first I thought it was a new sort of ice cream flavour  :up:
But I see it's some sort of new gadget for checking your emails anywhere
you want too? Can you set up a connection with every computer you want
too? I know that all those things are designed to make your life easier,
and somehow it does as you say you don't have to go to the office. On
the other hand in today's society - if you go with the flow - you sometimes
get a 'big brother is watching you' feeling. As you can be traced/contacted/
called anywhere. Oh well, it's the reflective season isn't it, so just don't take
any notice of me talking to myself  :lol: :roll: :wink:.

Anyway Irene and everyone else who's reading, have a great time the coming
weeks around the X-mas tree, going to work, just doing whatever you feel
like doing if you have that luxury  :smile:.

Like Irene said: ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY

Hey Miran,

the Blackberry has been around for a few years, but since not many phone companies fully understand the way it works and hence can't supply proper support, it isn't that widely spread yet.

The Blackberry-technology is called 'Push Mail'. What it means, is that you receive your email just like you receive a SMS; you don't have to go online and connect to your supplier to retrieve your mail. It just 'comes in'. The beauty is that folders on your computer and on your phone are synchronized. So if you file or delete an email on your phone, it will do the same thing automatically on your computer. You can imagine that that is incredibly convenient when you're on a business trip and you don't come back to an overflowing email box, in which are emails that you already replied to while you were away.

Now, dinner time! Yum :)

Hey Miranda: one small typo remark:

But I see it's some sort of new gadget for checking your emails anywhere
you want too? = anywhere you want to.
Too: ook.
You'll get there!

I am looking forward to my two weeks break, too. I do not particularly look forward to Xmas itsef, but two weeks in the sun will be great! (especially as I have a visitor from NL here, at the moment)

Have a good one!
Inacar

Thanks Inacar!

I hope you'll have a great time especially with your guest from overseas!

Hi, guys.

Yeah, I'm aware that Dutch is spoken in the Netherlands, which is where Van Gogh was born. And that Amsterdam is the capital, a very popular city around the world due to legal selling of marijuana. Thanks anyway for telling me that THIS is Dutch - a language i would like to learn some day.

As for the English grammar comments, someone said:

although I might say "I send you a letter tomorrow"

I know that the present form (send) is used to express future ideas only in specific cases, for example.
You send someone letters every month. It´s kind of part of a schedule, so it's correct to say
"I send you a letter tomorrow"

Back